MCCAW--Ballintoy or Ballycastle

For anybody that is searching for family links in the area covered by Belfast area in Co. Antrim or Co. Down.
If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

Alison12
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

MCCAW--Ballintoy or Ballycastle

Post by Alison12 » 07 May 2012, 22:48

I am seeking any information about the MCCAW family in Ballintoy or Ballycastle, County Antrim in the 1800s. I am especially interested in anyone connected with the townland of Glenstaghey. That townland was the home of PATRICK MCCAW, father of two young people who married into the McFall family in the same townland in the early 1860s. Griffith's Valuation shows ESTHER MCCAW as holding 39 acres in the same townland in 1861 so I'm guessing that she was Patrick's widow.

Were Patrick McCaw and Esther McCaw husband and wife? If so, they are likely my ggg grandparents. The only McCaw left on the townland in the 1901 census is Alexander, a six-year-old living with his grandmother, not named McCaw.

Does anyone know of any other Patrick McCaw married to Esther McKay (maiden name) in this area? If this couple were the only ones, then I'm going to assume they are mine. I can't find any church or civil records from about 1830 when they were likely married. I also can't find birth/baptism records for Patrick McCaw or Esther McKay.

There are a number of McCaws in Ballintoy and one or two in Ballycastle. Both of these names come up in connection with my family. I'd be very grateful for any info or suggestions for research.

Elwyn
Trunk

Re: MCCAW--Ballintoy or Ballycastle

Post by Elwyn » 08 May 2012, 05:32

I would check the tithe applotment records for the townland to see who was there in the 1820s/30s. Also the Antrim Estate papers at PRONI, Belfast as they kept very good lists of their tenants from the 1820s onwards (PRONI ref: D2977/8) and you may pick up the family (and any relations) from those annual tenants registers.

Alison12
Oak Twig

Re: MCCAW--Ballintoy or Ballycastle

Post by Alison12 » 08 May 2012, 19:07

Thank you, Elwyn. Those sound like very promising sources. I live in the US. Is there any online source for these records? Or microfilm somewhere? If not, do you or anyone else have a suggestion for someone who could research these records in Belfast? Thanks again.

Return to “Belfast -Co.Antrim & Co. Down”