Samuel Carson Boyd family

For anybody that is searching for family links in the area covered by Belfast area in Co. Antrim or Co. Down.
If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

Peggy
Oak Twig

Samuel Carson Boyd family

Post by Peggy » 27 Aug 2012, 01:42

My ggg grandfather Samuel Carson Boyd was born about 1780, not sure where. In 1810, he inherited the wine and brandy merchant business of his uncle Samuel Carson. In his will of 1810, Samuel Carson names his sister Jenny Boyd, nee Carson, who is living in the parish of Rashee near Ballyclare, Co. Antrim. This is Samuel Carson Boyd's mother but don't know if this is where Samuel Carson Boyd was born 30 years earlier. Jenny's husband is not named so thinking he was deceased before 1810.
Samuel Carson also names another sister Isabella Carson who married Thomas George and they were living in Ballyhill, Parish of Killead, Co. Antrim in 1810.
Would anyone be able to find the marriage of Jenny Carson to a Mr. Boyd, possibly just before 1780 when her son Samuel Carson Boyd was born. A daughter was born to Jenny as well, and she married John Lawson of Kilbride, don't know when, but before 1831 and I would think long before. In 1831, Samuel's daughter and therefore Jenny's granddaughter Margaret was married in First Donegore Church in Kilbride to Thomas Beggs.
Margaret lived there until 1840 and had 3 children before moving to Ballyvoy.
I think Rashee near Ballyclare might be the best bet to find Samuel's birth and therefore the first name of his father. Does anyone know the name of the church there (probably Presbyterian) and how to contact the church. Or can they find Samuel's birth?
thanks for any help
Peggy

Elwyn
Trunk
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Re: Samuel Carson Boyd family

Post by Elwyn » 27 Aug 2012, 10:08

Peggy wrote: I think Rashee near Ballyclare might be the best bet to find Samuel's birth and therefore the first name of his father. Does anyone know the name of the church there (probably Presbyterian) and how to contact the church.

Peggy
I am not aware of any Presbyterian church in Rashee itself. Probably the nearest would be in Ballymena (where there are a total of 6 Presbyterian churches, including the RP, & NSP ones). Kells and also Connor are also possibles. Presbyterians in Ireland don’t use the parish system and so which church you attend is a matter of personal preference, and not necessarily the nearest to where you lived. Copies of surviving records from most of these churches are held in PRONI, Belfast. Details on the PRONI website:

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_ ... ndexes.htm

(You can try writing to the churches but many don’t have the time or resources to reply.)

Return to “Belfast -Co.Antrim & Co. Down”