Margaret Mooney Partridge/Johnson

For anybody that is willing to share the information on Birth records obtained from offical sources as LDS. PRONI or church. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderator: irishgen

peterson01
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Margaret Mooney Partridge/Johnson

Post by peterson01 » 29 Aug 2013, 07:33

Hello
I am the downline of Margaret mooney Johnson
Born June 1912 in Ireland
Died July 25 1991 in Saskatoon sk Canada
She later married Benjamin Johnson
Born 1908 whereabouts unknown
Died aug 29 1976 in Saskatoon sk Canada
They had one child Verna Winnifred Johnson
Born July 12 1932
Died feb 19 1983
who married my grandfather
Harry Vandale

I am looking for more ancestry information for my great grandparents. I have searched everywhere only to come up empty handed.
Thanks in advance
Brittney

irishgen
Site Admin

Re: Margaret Mooney Partridge/Johnson

Post by irishgen » 29 Aug 2013, 15:55

Hi Brittney,

Something that might help is to know what the religion of Margaret Mooney Johnson.

The majority of people who would have travelled to North America and came from what became Southern Ireland would have been Roman Catholic.

A very large percentage of those that came from the part of Ireland that became Northern Ireland would have been from one of the many Protestant religion.

The largest group would have been Presbyterian.

Researching Genealogy in Ireland religion is very important because the most of the Civil records no longer exist but a lot of Religious Records do.

The last available online census is 1911.

The next census to be released is the 1926 one, in 2026 I believe.

It is complete for Southern Ireland but it seem that the 1926 Northern Irish Census was badly damaged by fire and water during the "Belfast Blitz" during WW2.

Hope this is of a little help,

greetings

Liam

peterson01
Oak Twig

Post by peterson01 » 29 Aug 2013, 23:57

Hi Liam
Thanks for the info,
My great grandmother was Protestant.
She came over in approx 1924 when she was 12 we think
I just can't find any records!!
Any help would be great!
Thanks

peterson01
Oak Twig

Post by peterson01 » 30 Aug 2013, 01:03

Oh and we think her fathers side was partridge and her mothers was mooney
Johnson was her married name
We weren't sure what she went by in regards to maiden name!
Thanks

Elwyn
Trunk

Post by Elwyn » 01 Sep 2013, 09:58

Margaret Mooney is a very common name in Ireland. There were 5 women of that name born in 1912. However only one was born in the Apr ÔÇô Jun quarter. Her birth was registered in Dublin South, Apr ÔÇô Jun 1912 volume 2, page 680.

ItÔÇÖs easy enough to order a copy of that certificate from GRO Roscommon. However you really need some more reliable information from her marriage or death certificate to confirm whether you have the right parents. (How certain are you she was born in June 1912? If it was another month or another year, then obviously this wonÔÇÖt be the correct birth.)

I have my doubts as to whether it is the right birth because, as Liam has explained, if she was Protestant, sheÔÇÖs much less likely to have come from Dublin. In the 1911 census for Ireland there are 1633 people named Mooney in Co. Dublin. 1548 of those were RC and only 85 were Protestant or nonconformist. Like Liam I would think it more likely that she originated in Belfast or one of the counties in what is now Northern Ireland.

You have indicated that her father may have been named Partridge. I checked but there were no Mary Partridge births registered in Ireland in 1912. From your information, I infer she might have been illegitimate. If so, there was no formal adoption in Ireland at that time and so children were sometimes placed with a new family under an informal agreement. And in that case the child might often be given the surname of the adoptive family. (No paperwork was required). If this happened in MargaretÔÇÖs case, then Mooney may not be the name on her birth certificate.

Have you searched for passenger records around 1924 for MargaretÔÇÖs arrival in Canada? That might contain an address in Ireland, and also who was she travelling with? (It seems unlikely that a 12 year old girl would be sent to Canada on her own). Was she naturalised as a Canadian citizen? If so, perhaps her naturalisation papers contain more information about her birth and parentage?

Elwyn

Return to “Irish Birth Records”