Griffiths Valuation 1848-1864

Websites that offer totally FREE access to Records and Information that is useful to the N. Ireland Genealogist and Historian

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

irishgen
Site Admin
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Griffiths Valuation 1848-1864

Post by irishgen » 09 Feb 2009, 18:04

FREE access to Griffiths Valuation 1848-1864
Visit:- http://www.failteromhat.com/griffithsall.php to search for a surname or review a town from one of the 6 Counties.

Irelands Valuation office conducted its first survey of property ownership in Ireland from 1848 to 1864. This survey became known as "Griffith's Valuation" after Richard Griffith who was the director of the office at that time. The survey was used to determine the amount of tax each person should pay towards the support of the poor within their poor law union. This involved determining the value of all privately held lands and buildings in rural as well as urban areas to figure the rate at which each unit of property could be rented year after year. The resulting survey was arranged by barony and civil parish with an index to the townlands appearing in each volume. Griffith's Valuation can be used as an excellent census substitute for the years after the Great Famine as censuses prior to 1901 were destroyed. The links below will show the index extracts for each county.

Irish Ancestors shows county maps of the civil parishes associated with the Griffiths Valuation.

Visit:- http://www.failteromhat.com/griffithsall.php

******************************************************************************************************
Irish Genealogy on the Net is not connected with the running, in a financial sense or otherwise with http://www.failteromhat.com or any other Organization connected with Irish Genealogy Research or History. This is a small independent non-profit group that exists with the occasional donation and my bank account.

Duach
Oak Twig

Re: Griffiths Valuation 1848-1864

Post by Duach » 05 Aug 2011, 02:03

Yesterday while waiting for my registration to be approved, I did a bit of browsing and opened a link to Griffith's Valuation
that gave views of the original notations, as I remember it was a Government site.
Now, having logged in I can't find it, :lol: (at myself) I should have bookmarked it.

Any help appreciated and thanks in anticipation.

Duach
Oak Twig

Re: Griffiths Valuation 1848-1864

Post by Duach » 06 Aug 2011, 12:42

All is well, I found the spot.
Went looking for 'John Flaherty' in St Finbar's Parish and found three , one of which was a double entry, so that leaves two who got a mention, how many other 'John Flahery's there were remains to be found; still I'm further advanced than I was 24 hours ago.(perhaps?).

Return to “FREE Record Sources”