james Donovan

For anybody that is willing to share the information on Marriage records obtained from offical sources as LDS, PRONI or church. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderator: irishgen

dalek39
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

james Donovan

Post by dalek39 » 03 Nov 2010, 03:34

James Donovan..born abt 1769 Ireland...married Jane ? born abt 1769 Ireland...children of that marriage...Mary Donovan..born 1827 Ireland..
James was mentioned as Gentleman on his sons marriage certificate...
Jane, (wife) died in 1868 Pancras London... James died in 1849 London? buried at Westminster..England...any information on this family please...

Elwyn
Trunk

Re: james Donovan

Post by Elwyn » 04 Nov 2010, 21:37

If Jane was born c 1769 and her daughter Mary was b 1827, then she was 58 when she gave birth. That seems somewhat unlikely. Are you sure these dates are correct?

To have any chance of tracing James and family in Ireland this far back, you really need to know his religion and parish or townland. Otherwise it's most unlikely you'll trace him. You might get that information from his will (where he might have made bequests to family in Ireland) or obituaries. Likewise it might be worth checking for a will for Jane.

Elwyn

dalek39
Oak Twig

Post by dalek39 » 05 Nov 2010, 00:50

Elwyn....My apologies...Jane was born in 1796, not 1769...I have found James Donovan buried at Westminster..14/8/1849..He was listed as Gentleman on his sons marriage certificate...also the sons wife, Jane Sarah Sullivan father was also a Gentleman..Robert Sullivan......I know how hard it is to get info from Ireland, all I know is he was Anglican, as his sons were Anglican Ministers...Eldest son..Joseph Bartrum Azelby Donovan..born 1832 Bermondsey. London..
I have checked what I can from the Irish records, but with no luck..maybe I'm asking the impossible.....live in hope.... :roll:

irishgen
Site Admin

Post by irishgen » 05 Nov 2010, 13:08

Anglican = Church of England = Church of Ireland so you have a religion in Ireland.

If he was "gentleman"then there will be a "will". Check for it in England likely London.

Check old English newspapers for news of his death or burial. Visit the Newspaper Library at Colinwood

Elwyn
Trunk

Post by Elwyn » 05 Nov 2010, 22:09

Yes if he was Anglican, then that'd be Church of Ireland in Ireland. However the church records are not centralised, nor are many of them on line, so you need to find the specific parish before you can start searching. Some are held by the individual churches and some are held centrally. http://www.ireland.anglican.org/index.p ... n.dioceses I agree yoyu shoulkd try old newspapers or for a will, to try and find where he came from.

Elwyn

PS Irishgen, You are right that C of E = C of I, but it doesn't = Church of Scotland. The Church of Scotland is Presbyterian not Anglican. C of E in Scotland is the Episcopalian church. Or Piskies, as we affectionately call them.

irishgen
Site Admin

Post by irishgen » 05 Nov 2010, 22:35

Thank you for your correction, Elwyn. I have removed my mistake.

Correction.
"PS Irishgen, You are right that C of E = C of I, but it doesn't = Church of Scotland. The Church of Scotland is Presbyterian not Anglican. C of E in Scotland is the Episcopalian church. Or Piskies, as we affectionately call them."

dalek39
Oak Twig

Post by dalek39 » 02 Jan 2011, 03:49

Elwyn wrote:If Jane was born c 1769 and her daughter Mary was b 1827, then she was 58 when she gave birth. That seems somewhat unlikely. Are you sure these dates are correct?

To have any chance of tracing James and family in Ireland this far back, you really need to know his religion and parish or townland. Otherwise it's most unlikely you'll trace him. You might get that information from his will (where he might have made bequests to family in Ireland) or obituaries. Likewise it might be worth checking for a will for Jane.

Elwyn
I am not too familiar with posting on here and I think I may have put one on the wrong thread, Irish Ancestors...anyway apologies if I did...Re Mary Donovans birth..1827..mother Jane..being 58..I doubt that ..poor woman at that age, but, I have conflicting dates with this family, there is a possibility James was married before...and he was protestant as his sons were curates of the Epislopalian Church in England...I really don't know where to start...as its hard to know what religion or place of residence was that long ago...
Apart from Mary being born in Ireland, the rest of the children were born in Middlesex London, except a Joseph Bartrum Azelby Donovan, who was born in Bermondsey London in 1832... and with a name like that I looked at that, and found an Elizabeth Bartrum married a James Donovan, 1818 Lewisham England...so took it that may have been his mother, and maybe she died, and he remarried Jane...in Ireland...a real dilema...Dale.

Return to “Marriage Records”