John McMullen married Margaret Orr at Downpatrick

For anybody that is willing to share the information on Marriage records obtained from offical sources as LDS, PRONI or church. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderator: irishgen

tomwdcraftr
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

John McMullen married Margaret Orr at Downpatrick

Post by tomwdcraftr » 27 Oct 2013, 19:03

A friend in Ireland retrieved the marriage record for my GG Grandparent's from PRONI. This shows as John McMullen (other records show name as McMullan) and Margaret Orr married at the Downpatrick Cathedral (Church of Ireland) May 2, 1844. The minister was James Milligan, and the witnesses were William George Hurst and Daniel Hurst. William George Hurst was a shoemaker, as was my John McMullen. I know Margaret Orr was born at County Antrim, probably in 1822 or 1823. I have no birth info for my John. John and Margaret had a son, Arthur McMullen in Downpatrick in 1845. The family emigrated to Quebec by 1847, where my G Grandfather, William John McMillan was born, and baptized at The Holy Trinity Cathedral (Anglican) in Quebec City November 7, 1847.

Thanks, Tom McMillan (Washougal, WA, USA)

tomwdcraftr
Oak Twig

Re: John McMullen married Margaret Orr at Downpatrick

Post by tomwdcraftr » 18 Apr 2014, 23:15

Update: My friend in Ireland informed me about diary records kept by Aynsworth Pilson regarding events at Downpatrick during the time of my ancestor's. Aynsworth Pilson recorded for May 2, 1844: "John Macmullan, shoemaker, Bridge-st., to Orr, servant". So, this gave me information on where my John McMullan had resided at the time of his marriage to Margaret Orr. He also gave me info Aynsworth Pilson for deaths of 2 McMullan's on Bridge Street for 1846 and 1848. I'm interested to know what other information he may have recorded for McMullan's of Downpatrick!!

tomwdcraftr
Oak Twig

Re: John McMullen married Margaret Orr at Downpatrick

Post by tomwdcraftr » 25 May 2016, 20:37

Another update!! I found the William John McMullen born August 24, 1847 and baptized Nov 7, 1847 to John McMullen and Margaret Orr and baptized at Quebec City died 10 months later at Quebec City. Another child was born to them January 1, 1849 at Montreal who was also named William John McMullen, so this was my Great Grandfather. G Grandpa was baptized in January of 1852 at a Methodist Church in Montreal. At the time of baptism, it was noted my GG Grandfather, John McMullen was not present, and was said to be a shoemaker at Bytown, Canada West at the time of baptism. Bytown became Ottawa in 1855. I can't be sure if John was on the 1852 census in that area or not? There was a John McMullen with a McMullen family at Nepean, but he showed as single and a laborer, so not sure if my John or not? I'm still hoping to find the fate of John, as he seems to disappear in the 1850s. The family may have been at Kingston later, but I don't know if John made it there or not? Thanks!! Tom McMillan

Return to “Marriage Records”