McMurray in Antrim

For anybody that is looking for or obtain Historical or Genealogy Items like Books, Maps,CD's, lookup's, copies of records, etc. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

Glenn McMurray
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

McMurray in Antrim

Post by Glenn McMurray » 17 Feb 2011, 19:32

Hi,
My cousin and I are researching our common ancestor and have hit a wall. We can't find anything on William McMurray, born 1842 in Antrim. He moved to London and became a stationary embosser/paper lace maker. With a name like McMurray, it's possible his parents were Ulster Scots.
Thanks for any leads or ideas
Kind regards
Glenn McMurray

Elwyn
Trunk
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Re: McMurray in Antrim

Post by Elwyn » 13 Aug 2011, 21:39

McMurray is a very common name in Co Antrim. There are 51 listed in Griffiths Valuation (1848 ÔÇô 64). www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml There are 403 in the 1901 census.

Statutory records of births, deaths & marriages started in Ireland on 1.1.1864 (1st April 1845 for Protestant and Non-Conformist marriages). Prior to that you are heavily dependant on church records, where they exist. (Some have been lost, some are incomplete and some are not yet on line). To use church records effectively, because thereÔÇÖs no centralised index, ideally you need to know the ancestorÔÇÖs exact religion, townland and parish in Ireland. (Otherwise itÔÇÖs a needle in a haystack). Good sources are poor law applications, military records, old diaries, gravestones, family bibles, wills and obituaries.

Return to “Wanted -Lookup or Historical or Genealogy Information”