HALPIN and SELLERY family

For anybody that is researching a certain FAMILY or surname that can be found any where in Ireland.

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

yankeepiper64
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

HALPIN and SELLERY family

Post by yankeepiper64 » 04 Aug 2010, 06:45

Hello everyone! I am new to the group and from Akron, OH via Boston, Massachusetts where I grew up. Several family members have been researching our Irish roots. My great x 3 grandfather was John Blevins (1829 Armagh- 1871 Cambridge MA). He was a slater and emigrated to Boston, MA in the early 1850s. He married Mary Halpin July 11 1854 at Grace Church Episcopal in Boston. Mary Halpin was born 16 August 1831, she was daughter of Thomas Bartlett HALPIN and Margaret SELLERY. SELLERY or SILLERY is a French Huguenot name, and I think that HALPIN is a corruption of the name "HALFPENNY". I have had no luck finding anyone with these names. There was one exception. A post from Oct 2007 on ancestry.com's message board mentioned that the name Sillery is pronounced SELLERY in North Meath County. Mary's parents were probably born circa late 1700s-early 1800s. Thomas might have had a brother, Patrick Bartlett Halpin who also emigrated to Boston, MA. He lived in Lowell, MA. Both men went by "Bartlett Halpin" at times. I am not sure if they were brothers, but I believe Patirck had a son Thomas. Any ideas or advice would be welcome and thank you for your help! :)

Richard Robertson

Return to “ALL IRELAND FAMILY SURNAMES”