Surname: Huie/Hewey - James Hewey b. 1700

For anybody that is LOOKING for information on a certain Person, who can come from anywhere in Ireland.

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

Inez Reed
Oak Twig

Surname: Huie/Hewey - James Hewey b. 1700

Post by Inez Reed » 14 Apr 2009, 14:23

How common is the surname Hewey/Huie in Ireland and where would it be more commonly found? I've recently added James Hewey abt 1700 who emigrated to Massachusetts Colony. He was married in Boston in 1735. He later settled in Brunswick, Maine where he died in 1779. I have no clue as to where he was born in Ireland.

Cheers,

Inez Reed

irishgen
Site Admin
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Re: Surname: Huie/Hewey - James Hewey b. 1700

Post by irishgen » 14 Apr 2009, 16:48

[quote="Inez Reed"]How common is the surname Hewey/Huie in Ireland and where would it be more commonly found? [/quote]

Hi Inez,

I would say rare as I just checked Matheson book "Surnames in Ireland". This great book has a list of all surnames and variations that appeared 5 times in the 1890 census and was published 1901(reprinted 1994). The nearest would be Huey or Hewson. Both names have variations but are NOT variations of each other. I think or assume that the name was written originally as it sounded by some person in N. America or of course could have been the ships captain or agent. In my own family in the late 1800's there are 3 children with variations in their surname, born in same town, same father and mother but a different registrar recording.

Hope this is of some help,

greetings

L

Christopher

Re: Surname: Huie/Hewey - James Hewey b. 1700

Post by Christopher » 05 May 2009, 02:26

Hewey may be Huey as irishgen says or it may also be Hughey or Huet. Check Irish Ancestors surname search to see the distribution of the name in the mid nineteenth century. The site is based on the names which were listed in Griffith's Primary Valuation 1848-64. http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname

Huey and Hughey are found mainly in Ulster in Antrim, Derry, Donegal and Tyrone
Huet is fairly rare. There were some families of that name in Dublin. It's common in Normandy.

Return to “ALL IRELAND SURNAME INTEREST”