Tobin

For anybody that is LOOKING for information on a certain Person, who can come from anywhere in Ireland.

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

henryt
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Tobin

Post by henryt » 28 Aug 2009, 19:16

Hi hope someone can help.

I have a Thomas Tobin, born about 1823/4 in the East Indies (according to the 1881 census) who died in Salford, Lancashire in 1887. He was married to Margaret Stanton (born c 1831 in ireland died in 1872 at Salford). Date of marriage unknown but assumed about 1850 as first child, henry Joseph Tobin was born 1851 in ireland (1881 census again). They must have emigrated to Canada shortly thereafter as the next three daughters were born in Quebec between 1859 and 1863. He served in the Royal canadian rifles and was a Corporal in 1859.

I have tried Familysearch.org but no trace of Margaret Stanton at all.

How do you access the Irish Census of 1841 and 1851 online?

Any suggestions welcome to try and trace any of their parents

irishgen
Site Admin

Re: Tobin

Post by irishgen » 31 Aug 2009, 13:37

Hi there,

This is a difficult one. The remnants of the 1851 Irish Census can be found on this forum. This is for bits of Co. Antrim. Other remnants for a small part of Co. Cork and smaller townlands can be found online. These do not cover a small fraction of Ireland or the Census. There is a 1841 Irish Census Index for Co. Cavan and Co. Londonderry on Cdrom and Pay sites but this only contains names, no family, marriage or birth information.
No complete Census for Ireland exists before 1901, which is at present not online, and the 1911 census which is now online and cover all 32 counties at www.nationalarchives.ie

The normal Census research substitutes for Ireland are all geared to finding men, not families or women. This does not mean that it is an impossible task just more difficult. At this moment I have nothing more positive to offer, sorry.

greetings

L

henryt
Oak Twig

Post by henryt » 31 Aug 2009, 18:54

Thanks for the update.
I have no known relatives in Ireland in 1911, hopefully one of these days I will track him down.
I have been advised to try the British National Archives for records of the Royal canadian rifles- but as I live at the other end of the country it will have to be an organised trip.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

henry

irishgen
Site Admin

Post by irishgen » 01 Sep 2009, 15:00

You could try researching in Canada online as they have great stuff.

Try http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/gene ... .01-e.html

I search in Canada for WW1 soldiers born in Co. Antrim but they have much more online over therer.

greetings

L

Return to “ALL IRELAND SURNAME INTEREST”