William Welsh and daughter Rachael/Rachel - Ballymena

For anybody that is LOOKING for information on a certain Person from Co. Antrim including Belfast. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderator: irishgen

jan195
Oak Twig
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 5

William Welsh and daughter Rachael/Rachel - Ballymena

Post by jan195 » 01 Apr 2007, 21:29

I'm looking for any info on William Welsh, a weaver born 1830s-40s from Ballymena or his daughter Rachel born 1866/7. Thanks in advance

sara
Oak Twig

Post by sara » 20 Sep 2007, 10:25

Hi! I would really love to share information with you! It may turn out to be coincidence but we do have names and places in common. I have been chewing away for years now trying to track the Welsh family in Airdrie and in Ballymena. With very limited success.
My great grandfather DAVID WELSH was from Ballymena. He was born ca 1840 his father was WILLIAM WELSH, a weaver, and his mother was RACHAEL O'NEIL. This would place David in the same generation as your William, father of your Rachel. David was a weaver and became a soldier but had returned to Ireland by 1881 where his twin sons were born in Ballymuckvea. His only daughter was born in Belfast ca 1886 (her middle name being Rachel). The family then moved to Airdrie and show up there in the 1891 census and indeed remained there. My father was born in Airdrie.
This information largely comes from marriage and birth certificates and also Scottish census returns.
I would suggest -based on traditional naming patterns in Scots and Irish families- that it is possible that your William Welsh and my David Welsh were brothers? It would have been the usual naming pattern for their daughters to have been called Rachel.
Although this is pure speculation I would be really interested in pursuing this possible connection further as there is so very little to go on in the Irish records. I found nothing in the Belfast record centre.
Would you like to share more details?
-Sara Welsh

sara
Oak Twig

airdrie welsh's

Post by sara » 25 Sep 2007, 22:01

Hi again. I hope you don't find this annoying but I have taken the ball and ran with it. I have checked -using Scotland's People website- for Marriage certs that you mention on postings in other places (I googled) sorry, please don't think I am harrassing you! The information that you posted is the closest thing that I have come to in years and years of looking that represents a possible breakthrough for my family research.
Sarah Jane Houston's marriage to William Sharkey 1912 was witnessed by a Charles Welsh. I ran a search for all Charles Welsh's on 1901 census in Airdrie. There was only one. Guess what? He happens to have been my 19 year old grandfather (he was very old by the time my father was born). Also James Houston was a Tube Worker. He worked in the same factory as my G grandfather David.
Please please please get in touch! This is really quite a coincidence....?!?!?!?
-Sara Welsh

jan195
Oak Twig
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 5

Post by jan195 » 24 Dec 2007, 00:35

Hello Sara

I've sent you a private message. Please get in touch!

Janet

Return to “Co. Antrim Surname Interest List”