McCaughan

For anybody that is LOOKING for information on a certain Person from Co. Antrim including Belfast. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderator: irishgen

rhondaelton
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

McCaughan

Post by rhondaelton » 27 Apr 2009, 03:23

This is my first search for the McCaughan family in Ireland. John McCaughan was born in late 1700's somewhere in County Antrim. He emigrated to Montreal, Quebec Canada about 1818/20 and there he married Marie Louise Ploufe and so began the family in Canada. In 1820 John was shown to be a tailor by occupation, working in the City of Montreal.

I have sourced the marriage record of John McCaughan and it shows that the parents were
James McCaughan and his wife Mary Larny of County Antrim, Ireland. Another relative found the town Ballintoy written in some family notes.

I would like to confirm where the James & Mary McCaughan family lived and whether they had more children. When in Canada, their son John was married in a Roman Catholic Church and all subsequent births, deaths & marriages were in Roman Catholic churches in Canada.

I'd be grateful for any further search suggestions.

Rhonda Elton
Washington, USA

carolmcr
Oak Twig
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 5

Re: McCaughan/Reid of Co.Antrim & Liverpool

Post by carolmcr » 01 Jul 2010, 09:33

Hi Rhonda, I've only just found out that we have McCaughan's in our ancestory and wondered if you managed to discover anything about your ancestors since you placed your message.

Mine are as follows:-
Patrick REID b.c. 1802 Ireland Andrew McCaughan b.c. 1803 Ireland
son was Alexander REID b.c.1829 Co. Antrim married daughter Margaret McCAUGHAN b.c. 1831 Co. Antrim
1849 Ballymoney, Co. Antrim

Alexander & Margaret had several children born in Co.Antrim before moving to Liverpool, England around 1863 where their two youngest children were born.

If I'm correct, then their firstborn son was James REID b.c. 1849 = my g.grandfather who was a seaman. He wed an Irish girl in Liverpool in 1870 and they had my grandfather = the first of our REID clan born in Liverpool.

My Dad often spoke of his connections with Belfast and Co. Antrim, of twins in the family and also of one of the men going to sea and 'jumping ship' in America, Canada or New Zealand, so when I found the following record in 1871 census Liverpool, England I felt I'd found some of the family.

1871 Census @ 29 Sherwood St., Liverpool, Scotland, St Matthias
Name Relation Condition Age Birth Year Occupation Where Born
REID Alexander Head Married 38 1831 Cooper Ireland
REID Margaret Wife Married 36 1834 Ireland
REID Alexander Son Single 18 * 1853 Labourer at Foundry Ireland
REID Thomas Son Single 18 * 1853 Seaman Ireland
REID Patrick Son Single 17 1854 Labourer at Foundry Ireland
REID Margaret Daughter Single 11 1860 Ireland
REID Andrew Son Single 7 1864 Liverpool
REID Mary Daughter Single 4 1867 Liverpool

(we know, too, that my g.g.grandfather Alexander Reid b. 1829 was a Cooper)

Does any of the above match your records? regards

Return to “Co. Antrim Surname Interest List”