Armstrong in Northern Ireland

For anybody that is LOOKING for information on a certain Person from Co. Antrim including Belfast. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderator: irishgen

LindaRea
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Armstrong in Northern Ireland

Post by LindaRea » 19 Nov 2010, 22:01

Ancestor Thomas C. Armstrong, 1826-1906, arrived in USA 1850, married Lydia Rankin, born in County Antrim, lived in Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Norfolk. Sons were William Rankin, James Thomas, and David Jelley. Any guidance on determining his origin would be welcome.

Elwyn
Trunk

Re: Armstrong in Northern Ireland

Post by Elwyn » 21 Nov 2010, 17:35

Statutory records of birth, death & marriage records started in Ireland in 1864 (1845 for Protestant and Non-Conformist marriages). Prior to that you are heavily dependant on church records, where they exist. In general, there are few records prior to 1800.

Ideally, to trace an ancestor in Ireland through church records you need to know their exact religion, townland and parish. To find that information if the person died overseas, the usual sources are naturalisation records, gravestones, family bibles, wills and obituaries.

Some Irish BDM records are searchable on line on the LDS pilot site, but some records are still held by the individual church (some declined to allow their records to be copied) and so this website is not the complete picture:

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/rec ... ctions&r=1

For Northern Ireland, the Public Record Office (PRONI) has copies of many of the parish registers, and has a list of those held elsewhere. www.proni.gov.uk/
The records themselves are not on line and you need to search them in person. PRONI is temporarily closed until April 2011 but there are temporary arrangements to view this data at Cregagh Library, Belfast. See PRONI website for details.

Elwyn

LindaRea
Oak Twig

Post by LindaRea » 21 Nov 2010, 21:04

Thank you, Elwyn. Your information is appreciated.

charLEY1
Oak Twig

Post by charLEY1 » 10 Mar 2011, 09:02

I know of a Ross Armstrong who moved to the U.S. and settled in Eugene, Oregon and married a lady called Marge and they had three sons.(Gary, Ross and I don't remember the third one's name.).They were cousins of mine. Trying to track down other of my relatives with the surnames Close, Ross and Crawford from Larne and Islandmagee.

Return to “Co. Antrim Surname Interest List”