McAllister from Tavnaghoney

For anybody that is researching a certain FAMILY or surname from Co. Antrim or Belfast area. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderator: irishgen

MimiStevens

McAllister from Tavnaghoney

Post by MimiStevens » 18 Jan 2007, 05:51

McAllister family of Tavnaghoney

I am the 3rd great granddaughter of James ÔÇ£Jimmy the millerÔÇØ
McAl(l)ister and Mary McElheran who lived in the townland of Tavnaghoney.

Tavnaghoney is described in the book ÔÇ£Townlands in the Parish of CushendallÔÇØ published by the Heart of the Glens Festival/ Cushendall Development Group 2001 as follows:

p.49 Townland of Tavnaghoney
variations - Tavneychoney/Tavnahoney
irish ÔÇô Tamhnach Chonaidh meaning ÔÇô Field of the firewood

174 acres

Today the surnames in Tavnahoney are McKeegan and McNamee. The oldest house is owned by the McKeegan family, but there are only wallsteads left. It was from this house and many others like it that family members went to the USA. It was terribly sad and the parties held were known as ÔÇÿAmerica WakesÔÇÖ because they did not know if they would ever return. A family of McAlisters emigrated to America and began a tug-boat business, very successful to this day.
In the 1880s a woman and her daughter died in suspicious circumstances and this is referred to as ÔÇ£the Glenan MurdersÔÇØ. A wallstead is all that can be seen now of the house they lived in.
Glenaan Road goes through southern extremity and the highest part is called the Heathery Hill. The turf banks are still distinctive on the brae. Along the top of Tavnaghoney, as well as a couple of neighbouring townlands there is a line of skeagh bushes. There is a field known as the Skeagh Field and one called the Rocky Field.

The union of James McAl(l)ister and Mary McElheran occurred February 10, 1839 according to the Layde Catholic parish records. At that time James would have been about 23 and Mary was about 19. The witnesses to their marriage were M Kearney and Margt Riley?

James and Mary had 8 children that are known. Looking at the gaps between the births of some of the children there may have been more.

James died in 1891 at the age of 75. Mary died in 1903 at the age of 83.
They are buried in St. Patrick and St. Brigid Cemetery.

1) John was baptized April 26, 1840 according to the Layde Catholic parish records. The sponsors were James McCambridge and Mary McGloughlin. He traveled to Kalgoolrie, Western Australia, made a fortune in gold mining, and settled in Sydney. When he died in 1905 at the age of 64 he left his fortune to his family. He did not marry nor have any children. There is a stained glass window in the New St. MaryÔÇÖs Church in Cushendall with a dedication to John.

2) James was baptized April 10, 1842 according to the Layde Catholic parish records. The sponsors were Donald McCurry and Nancy McCambridge ?
James was the first of the children to emigrate to Brooklyn, New York.
James married 1) Catherine Reid, daughter of John (James) Reid and Mary McCurry from the neighboring townland of Murroo (Gorntagross Lower). Together they had 11 children. Catherine died from tuberculosis at the age of 38. James married 2) Catherine McDonnell, also from a neighboring townland back home. She is said to have been the cousin of Catherine Reid. Together they had 3 children. At this point little else is known of Catherine McDonnell.
James started Greenpoint Lighterage with his brothers and others in Brooklyn. This in time evolved into the aforementioned tug boat business. James died in 1916 at the age of 74.

3) Daniel was born about 1843. He also emigrated to Brooklyn. There he married Elizabeth McCollum, daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth McCollum. They had 7 children together. Elizabeth died shortly after the birth of their last child. That child about 3 weeks later.
Daniel was in business with James for a time, but eventually split from the lighterage business and instead ran the McAllister Steamboat excursion business on the Hudson River. Daniel died in 1920 at the age of 77.

4) Mary was born in 1849. She married Hugh Campbell, a widower with three children. They remained in Co. Antrim, settling in Ballymena. Together they had 9 children ÔÇô 4 boys and 5 girls. Only one of the sons survived. Married died in 1933 at the age of 84.

5) Margaret was born in 1852. She emigrated along with her brothers to Brooklyn. She married James McKillop. Together they had 9 children. She died in 1912 at the age of 59.

6) William was born in 1853. He too emigrated to Brooklyn. There he married Mary Hayes, daughter of Patrick Hayes and Mary Cummings from Nenagh, Co. Tipperary, Ireland. They had 3 children. William died in 1923 at the age of 70.

7) Charles was born about 1858. He was the last of the children to emigrate to Brooklyn. He married Sarah ÔÇ£JennyÔÇØ Robinson, daughter of Ellen McLoughlin, and they had 4 children. He died at the age of 53 in 1912.

8) Patrick was the only son to remain in Ireland. He ran the farm for a time, but after receiving the inheritance from his brother John, he sold the farm to the McKeegans and bought the Central Bar in Cushendall. He built a house in town and married Annie McCauley, daughter of Davied McAuley and Mary McDonnell of Ballybrack. He was Justice of the Peace for a time. They did not have any children. Patrick died in 1930 at the age of 67. Annie survived him 19 years, dying at the age of 72 in 1949.

Ive tried to be brief .. I DO have more information on these family lines if anyone is interested.

Something else I would like to add, although I have nothing to base this on except family rumor.

James McAl(l)ister MIGHT belong to the following family. I have no documentation to prove this. I do not know who the parents might be to these children either. Spouse in ( ).

-Alexander McAlister 1801-1877 married Mary McCambridge. Children: John (Mary McKay), James (Bridget OÔÇÖLynn), Alexander, Sarah, Mary (McMullen), William, ?, ?

-Archibald McAlister 1813-1876, went to Charleston, South Carolina, married Mary McCary. Children: Charles (Virginia Earle), James (Maud), Archibald (Carrie), Sarah (William Woodin), John (Mary Louise McAllister * daughter of James McAllister tug boat captain mentioned in the first part of this history), Michael J. (Catherine Agnes Spraul), Patrick A. (Addie), Mary, William H. (Annie Riley)

-Daniel McAllister, Crickahilly 1800-1892, married Mary McVickers. Children: Patrick (Alice), Daniel (Mary McVicker), Robert, Rose (Hugh McCart), Mary (Alexander McKay), John, Sarah.

-Jane, went to Charleston, S.C. married a McAlister cousin

-Mary, Cushendall, did not marry

-William, Omagh, N. Ireland, married a woman from Donegal, had 6 children

-Sarah ?
-Patrick ?
? more ?

dmca
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Re: McAllister from Tavnaghoney

Post by dmca » 09 Nov 2009, 03:19

Hi,

Thanks for posting the information. Do you have more information on James McAllister's (baptized April 10, 1842) children? and then their children's children? I believe I am a descendant of his.

My father is James Michael McAllister (77 today). His father was Edward McAllister.

thanks,

Dan McAllister

benjay
Oak Twig

Post by benjay » 26 Feb 2010, 19:23

Hi Mimi,

I have read your post of 18 Jan 2007 with great interest. Recently I have started to research my McAlister family from Gruig, Cushendall and know that my paternal grandmother Jane McAlister (married to Michael Quinn 1908) was a daughter of John McAlister and Mary McKay (married 27 Nov 1872). The marriage record for John McAlister and Mary McKay states Alexander McAlister father of John and Patrick McKay, father of Mary.

This Alexander would appear to be the Alexander McAlister married to Mary McCambridge as stated in your post and any further information which you may have on this family would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks for all the information you posted on your family and for sharing your research.

Brendan

MimiStevens
Oak Twig

Post by MimiStevens » 30 Mar 2010, 16:43

Hi, it's Mimi again. I can't figure out how to email people (says it's not allowed) so.........
if anyone wants to contact me regarding the McAllister family of Tavnaghoney please do
so here thanks, and hope to hear from you.

This message has been edited because it contained personal email addresses.

benjay
Oak Twig

Post by benjay » 31 Mar 2010, 17:51

Hi Mimi,

I am delighted that you picked up on my post and have sent you a personal message.

With kind regards,
B.

DavidSosa
Oak Twig

Post by DavidSosa » 06 Apr 2011, 17:55

Hm.. My grandma told me about the family. Sorry to say but I didn't listen to her carefully but now I am really interested in this. I don't remember whether they were our relatives...

Return to “Co. Antrim Family Surname”