The Whitley Family

For anybody that is researching a certain FAMILY or surname from Co. Antrim or Belfast area. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderator: irishgen

Bec Paul
Oak Twig

The Whitley Family

Post by Bec Paul » 18 Dec 2007, 02:35

I am searching for members of the Whitley family who I believe came mainly from Belfast. My grandfather was James Lyons Whitley (b.1927). His parents were Hugh Whitley and Caroline Lyons. I don't know the years they were born in or any further information. I'd like to find out Hugh's parents if possible so I can trace the family line further back.

If this helps, they had several other children apart from James - Cyril, Trevor, George, Bertie and Dennis. Apparently Cyril died in the war in 1946.

If anyone can help me it'd be most appreciated! :D

Christopher

Re: The Whitley Family

Post by Christopher » 05 Dec 2008, 03:01

Hugh (x 2 ... probably father and son), Maggie and Thomas Whitley of 106, Walmer Street, Belfast signed the 1912 Ulster Covenant.

Chris Beith
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Re: The Whitley Family

Post by Chris Beith » 09 May 2011, 23:16

Cyril Cecil Whitley died on 26 April 1940 when his Whitley bomber (N1383 DY-H) was shot down over Aalborg in Denmark. He died along with three other members of the crew. His rank was AC2. He is buried in a beautiful and peaceful cemetry in Vadum, near Aalborg. On the 5th May every year the Danish Air Force, the Danish brothers of Defence, a Danish representative from the Comonwealth War Graves Commission, local people and relatives of the 30 RAF crew buried there attend a splendid military ceremony at the graveside followed by a ceremony at the attached Lutheran church. If a member of Cecil's family can be traced and wishes to attend next year I can accompany them.

Can this be the same Cyril Whitley who was mentioned on this site as being killed in 1946? it seems likely and the 1946 is an error and it should have been written as 1940.

I am trying to trace the family of Cyril Cecil Whitley. The Air War over Denmark website (if you are interested in this event then I suggest that you Google it and look up 1940section then the item on Whitley bomber N1383) has a great deal of detail about the fate of this mission and the subsequent capture of the only man to parachute to safety, Sgt Vincent Herbert Barr. I would like to obtain a photograph of Cecil to post on the website along with photos of the other crew members.

I believe that Cyril was born in 1920 somewhere near Belfast and that there may be a war memorial at Larne with his name on it. This would put his age at about 19 at the time of his death. It is just so sad to think of all these young lives being lost.

Chris Beith

Return to “Co. Antrim Family Surname”