Sims or Simms

For anybody that is researching a certain FAMILY or surname from Co. Antrim or Belfast area. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderator: irishgen

scot
Oak Twig
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 5

Sims or Simms

Post by scot » 07 Feb 2009, 20:04

My Andrew Sims was born circa 1803 in Co. Antrim "near Belfast". He married Elizabeth Bell circa 1830. The pair left for Canada shortly after the marriage. Their first two children were born in Quebec northwest of Montreal; Mary Jane in 1833 and Elizabeth in 1835, the remaining 7 children were born after the family moved to Eramosa Township, Wellington County, Upper Canada/Canada West [Ontario].

Family lore talks about a brother of Andrew, Hugh, who also came to Canada. I have not been able to "pin" down a Hugh to date.

I am trying to cross the "pond" without knowing Andrew or Elizabeth's parents' names. Any help would be appreciated.

Christopher

Re: Sims or Simms

Post by Christopher » 14 Apr 2009, 12:59

Hi Scot,

You've not mentioned the Christian names of Andrew and Elizabeth's children other than the first two. The names of the children may give you Christian names of the parents of Andrew and Elizabeth and possibly the names of their grandparents. In some cases families may use a surname as a given name as well.

Christopher

scot
Oak Twig
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 5

Re: Sims or Simms

Post by scot » 14 Apr 2009, 18:39

Hi Christopher,
I built a chart using the Irish naming pattern [I picked it up somewhere on the net and will stand corrected if it is not an accurate one].

1st son William Wilson Sims 1st daughter Mary Jane Sims
[father's father] [mother's mother]

2nd son James Bell Sims 2nd daughter Elizabeth Sims
[mother's father] [father's mother]

3rd son Andrew Sims 3rd daughter Ellen Sims
[father] [mother]

4th son Matthew Sims 4th daughter Maria Sims
[father's eldest brother] [mother's eldest sister]

5th son NA 5th daughter Janet Sims
[father's eldest sister]
The second son's name suggests that Elizabeth (Bell) Sims' father might be James Bell. The third son, Andrew, fits the naming pattern.

I have found a marriage in Donegore that matches the names of my Andrew and Elizabeth and the time of marriage as to family lore. I have also found indexes for the church records that suggest that a Matthew Sims lived in the area as well. I don't like to do reverse research though, and am not prepared to accept the marriage record as mine until I have more proof.
Scot

Return to “Co. Antrim Family Surname”