McBrooms of Antrim 1830-1850

For anybody that is researching a certain FAMILY or surname from Co. Antrim or Belfast area. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderator: irishgen

broomer5
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

McBrooms of Antrim 1830-1850

Post by broomer5 » 20 Apr 2010, 20:02

My GGGrandfather Walter McBroom and he emigrated to American in mid 1850's.
Documention states he was born abt 1830 in Ireland.
He was a native of County Antrim, Ireland.
He left Belfast Ireland and arrived in New York on May 21 1854.
He signed a declaration and report for naturalization on Sep 11, 1854.

I'm trying to find out what ship he sailed on, and more about his parents and Irish genealogy.

I appreciate any and all help!

Brian

lesliemw
Oak Twig

Re: McBrooms of Antrim 1830-1850

Post by lesliemw » 01 May 2010, 05:26

Hello Brian
I am doing a one name study of the surname McBROOM and have a few Walter McBROOMs. If you could give me a little more information eg parents, grandparents I will give you the relevant Walter's line.
Les Williamson

broomer5
Oak Twig

Post by broomer5 » 04 May 2010, 02:38

Hi Les,
I appreciate your reply and assistance.

Unfortunately, the only information I have is what I listed above, except I made a mistake on Walter's arrival date in NY. He arrived on May 21, 1850.

He first married a Mary Jane Lawghery in 1857 and had a son Hugh L McBroom. He then married Ann Jane Todd in 1862 in Indiana USA and raised the rest of the family, of which his son Robert M McBroom was my great grandfather.

I have nothing on him when he lived in County Antrim. I know that Jane Ann Todd's father was Samuel Todd and he and his wife immigrated to Quebec Canada, lost all children to Cholera epidemic and then moved to Dearborn County Indiana too. I've read where the McBrooms and Todds were close in Antrim, but have nothing more.

Anything you care to share would be most helpful.

Thanks
Brian

lesliemw
Oak Twig

Post by lesliemw » 07 May 2010, 08:07

Hi Brian
I have no hard evidence on Walter's parents. What I have came from a chap named Bob Houston (he is not McBROOM related, I think he connects to the TODDs), who from memory lives in Indiana. There are a number of surnames that were common in Indiana (I think some went to New York and some to Indiana via Canada from a small village, Ballyalbanagh in County Antrim) and in Ayrshire, Scotland (where my McBroom Ancestors lived), McBROOM, McMEEKIN(various spellings), TODD, McKINSTRY & WITHERED. They intermarried in all 3 locations and I believe some McBROOMs still live in Indiana.
All these people would be referred to as "Scots Irish" meaning the left Scotland and went to live in Northern Ireland, so you are really of Scottish descent not Irish. What makes it difficult to trace them accurately is the fact that they cossed they Irish sea back and forth quite often and appeared in a census record and disappeard on the next.

Bob passed this into me
Notes for Walter McBroom:
Mabel's notes to her brother John indicate that he died after falling through a floor carrying meat. Also they had six children. He is possibly the son of Hugh McBroom, b. abt 1796 Ballyboley (IGI) who married Martha Mackay (Mackey?) in 1821. Of the 8 children in the christening record, none are named Walter. That he named his first girl Martha and first born, Hugh, is compelling, however.

All I have entered in my database is his son Hugh married to Frances Knowles 22nd July 1885 in Dearborn, Indiana. They had 2 daughters Lois J McBROOM b. 1888 and Minnie M McBROOM b. 1891 (the source being Bob Houston).
I am planning to go to Ballybanagh this year and hopefully find out a bit more about the community and why some left for America & Canada whilst some went to Scotland around the same time.
Could you send me your line back to Walter and I'll see if anything connects with Bob's notes. Contact me via the Email or PM button on the screen if you prefer to send it privately. A GEDCOM would be preferred although a text file is fine if it is easier. I can pass all or anything you might find of interest in my database. I am quite confident that we are related, albeit quite distant (about 4th cousins at a guess).
I have not posted anything McBroom based on the internet because the whole thing needs quite a bit of tidying up, e.g. I have about 6,000 McBROOMs not counting their spouses and related families and I estimate about 500 McBROOMs will be duplicates but need hard evidence before I can merge them.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Les
Last edited by irishgen on 07 May 2010, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To block SPAMMERS harvesting Email addresses. The Forum has 2 methods of contacting other users. One via PM or Private Message or the Email button. --Moderator

broomer5
Oak Twig

Post by broomer5 » 16 May 2010, 14:54

Thanks Les,
Looking for a way to attach file here?
Brian

Return to “Co. Antrim Family Surname”