McCormicks from County Antrim

For anybody that is researching a certain FAMILY or surname from Co. Antrim or Belfast area. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderator: irishgen

travlr7
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

McCormicks from County Antrim

Post by travlr7 » 11 Jan 2012, 01:43

I am specifically looking for birth records and ancestry of John McCormick b. 14 Jun 1862 in County Antrim. The following is known from Catholic Church registers @ St. Bridget's in Scammon, Kansas, USA. Born in Co. Antrim, FATHER HENRY, MOTHER ELLEN MAIDEN O' OR Mc NEIL.
United States immigratration/passenger lists show John emigrated in Jun 1883 via Larne to the port of New York. A brother HENRY is recorded arriving a year earlier in 1882. (Previous researchers incorrectly listed John as from Armagh. This is taken from a civil death record from a hospital in Dayton, Ohio, USA in 1936 which listed John from sp. "Aramay") I believe therefore that he may have been from Armoy parish. That is only a guess. Co. Antrim is CERTAIN. I have found a Henry McCormick in the 1861-62 Griffiths in Armoy, Antrim. There is also a Widow Ellen McCormick listed in the 1901 & 1911 Ireland Census in Armoy parish, Co. Antrim.
I am hoping someone can help me find John McCormick's origins in Co. Antrim. Thanks- Jon

Elwyn
Trunk

Re: McCormicks from County Antrim

Post by Elwyn » 15 Jan 2012, 15:13

You won't find a birth certificate as John's birth was before the start of statutory birth registration (1864). You'll need to rely on parish records. Armoy RC Baptisms and Marriage records start in 1848 and have been copied to PRONI, Belfast. It would seem worthwhile searching them for John & Henry's baptisms. They'll probably be in Latin so you'd be searching for Ioannes and Henricus. In the 1860s, the parish records will probably have the family townland which should in turn tell you whether the farm in Griffiths is the right one.

lisad
Oak Twig

Re: McCormicks from County Antrim

Post by lisad » 27 Mar 2012, 23:25

I too am looking for John McCormick do not have much information. What we think is that he was a brother of Eneas McCormick from Larne , Ireland. birthdate is Jan 31/1876, Eneas's father was Michael McCormick and mother was Bella McCormick Mckay, any one with any info would be greatly appreciated

Return to “Co. Antrim Family Surname”