Queates

For anybody that is researching a certain FAMILY or surname from Co. Antrim or Belfast area. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderator: irishgen

Anonymous

Queates

Post by Anonymous » 11 Nov 2004, 22:59

Hello there.I'm looking for a family named Queate.So far I have :
James Queate born in Rathcaven,County Antrim
married to Jane Ferguson
Their children were :
James born 15 Dec. 1833 Skerry and Rathcavan,County Antrim
Andrew born 1837 Skerry and Rathcaven County,Antrim

I lost James in Scotland however I know that Andrew married Janet Young in 23 July 1863 in Lochwinnoch,Scotland.
I have found all their decendants down to myself.My problem is the name itself seams to appear and disappear with this family.Does anyone have a connection to this family?Are there any more Queates in Ireland?
Thanks,Heather

Anonymous

Queates

Post by Anonymous » 16 Nov 2004, 20:14

So far no luck with my Queate search.Could someone have a look in their phone book and see if the name still exists.So far the only ones I've found are my own.I get the feeling the name has gotten muddled over the years.Thanks Heather

Anonymous

How about Quaite ?

Post by Anonymous » 16 Nov 2004, 23:57

Hello ,me again.How about a variation on the spelling.After all the census taker in Stirling spelt it Meate.

irishgen
Site Admin
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Queates of/in Skerry and Rathcaven,County Antrim

Post by irishgen » 18 Nov 2004, 11:26

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 10:35 PM
Subject: Re: [antrim] Queates of/in Skerry and Rathcaven,County Antrim

Heather

go to

http://www2.bt.com/edq_resnamesearch/

All UK phone numbers etc listed unless people are ex-directory.

Pam

irishgen
Site Admin
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Re: [antrim] Queates of/in Skerry and Rathcaven,County Antri

Post by irishgen » 18 Nov 2004, 11:28

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 7:04 AM
Subject: Re: [antrim] Queates of/in Skerry and Rathcaven,County Antrim

Please write to me off the forum about the Fergusons.
You might look under the Orangemen on the internet as some of the family members were there.

Marianne

Anonymous

Queates/Fergusons

Post by Anonymous » 24 Nov 2004, 13:45

Hi Marianne,I have written to you twice off forum.It might be better if you contact me on forum as we seem to be having some difficulty connecting.Heather

scotmum
Oak Branch

Post by scotmum » 26 Nov 2004, 17:22

Two signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912:

Queate, Mary Jane, of Connsbrook Avenue Belfast: East Victoria St. Mary's Church

Queate, Jane, of Broughshane Ballymena Belfast: South Saint Anne's City Hall

scotmum
Oak Branch

Post by scotmum » 26 Nov 2004, 17:37

Also, following names in covenant/declaration:

Quate Hannah Jane Doagh Antrim: East Ballyclare

Quaite Emma Ballybaley Antrim: East Ballyclare

Quate Sarah Kilbride Antrim: East Ballyclare Kilbride Presbyterian Church, Doagh

Quate Mary Doagh Antrim: East Ballyclare Church And Parish Of Kilbride,

Quate Nellie Doagh Antrim: East Ballyclare Church And Parish Of Kilbride, Doagh

Quate Mary Doagh Antrim: East Ballyclare Church And Parish Of Kilbride, Doagh

Quate Sarah Doagh Antrim: East Ballyclare Church And Parish Of Kilbride, Doagh

Quert William Connor Antrim: East Connor

Quate James Doagh Antrim: East Ballyclare Ballyclare Cross,

Quaite Taylor Parkmore Antrim: Mid. Ballymena Pentagon Lamp Caruth,

Quaite James Parkmore Antrim: Mid. Ballymena Pentagon Lamp Caruth

Quaite Ellen Antrim: Mid. Braid Broughshane

Quaite Jane Antrim: Mid. Braid Broughshane

Quate Rosan Larne Street Antrim: Mid. Ballymena Mission Hall Harryville

As some of them signed at a church, it mught give you an idea of where to start having a look. Also, there were some further variations on the name eg Qua....just go to
[url]http://www.proni.gov.uk/ulstercovenantsearch[/url] and at Surname type in Qu* this should bring up pages for you to look through....names spread across all of the pages and not following strict alphabetical order.

Hope this is of some use.

Anonymous

Queates and varients

Post by Anonymous » 26 Nov 2004, 22:03

Thanks scotsmum I had just today found some in Ayr,Scotland.Your info.is very welcome.Now I finally have proof of the Queate name in Scotland and Ireland both before and after my ancesters.Regards Heather

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » 09 Jan 2006, 11:55

Hi there Raintra,
I have found my Queates listed under Queate, Quate,Quiet,Quade and Meate so far .At least yours marries a Speer.Should help a bit with following them.
Best of Luck,
Heather

tpquaite
Oak Twig

Post by tpquaite » 13 Jun 2007, 06:47

Hello Heather. In researching our QUAITE family line I have come across the spelling of QUEATE. Many of our Quaite line also appear as Quate or have the final 'e' dropped, to Quait. But most are a part of our Quaite tree. Now, when a cousin traveled to Ireland and to the old Kirkinriola churchyard, searching for our Quatie grandparents, they found instead only a gravestone of a WILLIAM QUEATE, and his wife MARGARET. I have saved a photo of this gravestone if you would like to see it. Much of the old stone is not clear to decipher. Many of the names on the Ulster Covenant were our family Quaite, just with variations in the spelling. I think a lot of the spelled variations have to do with the Irish accent and how the name was pronounced before spelling. I will look back on my 'forgotten' files and see what else I might be able to dig up for you on the spelling of the name "Quaeate". regards, Pat Quaite

tpquaite
Oak Twig

Re: Queate / Quaite

Post by tpquaite » 15 Jul 2015, 17:24

Hello out there, Heather in particular! are you still researching the QUEATE name (James married to Jane Ferguson) as the last postings I see are back in 2007!! It is now July 15, 2015. I had tried to reach you back then with no response. Our Quaite line is also connected to James & Jane, but I still have a lot of missing data, due mainly to lack of 1841 Census to place this whole family!! Anyone who does have data on this family, please contact me. thanks. Pat Q. tpquaite@shaw.ca

Return to “Co. Antrim Family Surname”