ARE YOU RELATED TO: the BROWNs, HOWARDs McDOWELLS etc?

For anybody that is searching for family links in the area covered by Larne area.

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

Glen Brown
Oak Twig
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 5

ARE YOU RELATED TO: the BROWNs, HOWARDs McDOWELLS etc?

Post by Glen Brown » 16 Jul 2005, 12:52

If your 1700-1900s relatives had family connections in County Antrim with any of the following surnames: BROWN, HOWARD, McCONNELL, McDOWELL, PINKERTON, REID, MOONEY and YOUNG

I am updating the family trees and wish to hear from you.

Glen Brown

ellenmagill
Oak Twig

Re: ARE YOU RELATED TO: the BROWNs, HOWARDs McDOWELLS etc?

Post by ellenmagill » 03 Dec 2008, 09:29

My great-grandmother was Elizabeth McConnell born 18th June 1848 in County Antrim. She married Crawford Magill, son of Isabella and Arthur Magill of BallyRickard, at Raloo in 1874 and then travelled on the Great Britain to Australia. They settled near Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia, along with her parents, brothers and sister and William McKinney, a cousin, whose mother was a McConnell, adopted, by her parents. Her father was William McConnell born May, 1820 At Ballyvernstown. Her mother was Letitia Foster, Daughter of Joseph Foster and Harriet Semple of Larne. Her grandfather was also William McConnell, born 1793 in Drumnadreagh, Glynn. He was buried in the Templecorran Cemetery at Ballycarry. To my knowledge, his children were besides William, Thomas McConnell 1825-1881m Catherine Doran, Jenny McConnell m Samuel Lough 1847 and James McConnell b. 1830 d. 1874.
A diary of Elizabeth Wood nee McConnell mentions visiting Browns. She was the daughter of my great-grandmother's younger brother, Hugh McConnell born 24/02/1855.
I do not have documentation of the connection between our families, but would be interested in any family history.
Ellen Margaret Magill.
P.S. William McConnell, senior married twice, both wives were named Elizabeth.
P.P. S. I am also interested, because of a McDowell friend, whose family also came from the same area in Antrim and settled near Warrnambool, Victoria, also.

Glen Brown
Oak Twig

Post by Glen Brown » 09 Dec 2008, 10:33

Dear Ellen,
I am presently away from UK. I will back 7th January 2009.
Send me an email in early January and I'll see what have.
My late cousin Molly McDowell was married to John McConnell. Her late mother was my father's sister Ellen Brown.
Look forward to being off help.
Yours sincerely.
Glen

jmbowden
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Post by jmbowden » 17 May 2011, 09:43

May I introduce myself?

My name is Michael Bowden and I am the grandson of Sam Brown who was the son of Randal Brown, and brother of John Howard Brown.

Unfortunately, there was a family rift and SamÔÇÖs 3 children, Howard, Desmond and Betty knew virtually nothing of the rest of the Brown family.

I would be fascinated to find out more about the family.

Many thanks in anticipation

Michael Bowden

Terry57
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Post by Terry57 » 10 Jun 2013, 22:07

My name is Terrence McConnell. I live in Melbourne Australia. My father is John Thomas McConnell. Grandfather Frances Edward McConnell. Great Grandfather John was born in Antrim 1854. He married Barbara Spence Anderson Warrnambool,Victoria. Great great grandparents were William McConnell and Leticia Foster. I believe William's father was also William who lived 1793-1883. His wife was Elizabeth but do not know her maiden name. Leticia's parents Joseph Foster and Harriet Semple of Larne.
My grandmother was Mary Baker from Horsham,Victoria and her parents wereThomas Baker and Katie Ackland.
I am interested in finding out more about earlier generations.

Return to “Larne-Glynn-Glenoe-Raloo-Kilwaughter-Inver-Drains Bay”