Robert McKay marries Mary Ann Downey(?) August 6, 1852 Larne

For anybody that is searching for family links in the area covered by Larne area.

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

Muskie
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Robert McKay marries Mary Ann Downey(?) August 6, 1852 Larne

Post by Muskie » 19 Aug 2012, 06:15

That is information I've turned up. This Robert McKay's father may have been Alexander also of Antrim Ireland. Robert and Many had many children, one of which Andrew eventually settled in Union Bay BC Canada. He then had a large number of children with his wife Ellen McCartney. Andrew was also a mate on the sailing ship "Two Brothers". We have pretty extensive records on every McKay that came to or was born in and around Union Bay BC, but Robert and Alexandar and Mary remain more of a mystery.

Perhaps someone in this forum can find more information given that they appear to have married on August 6, 1852 in Larne.

Thanks

I put more information on my family tree here:
http://blog.muschamp.ca/2012/08/18/updated-family-tree/

Elwyn
Trunk

Re: Robert McKay marries Mary Ann Downey(?) August 6, 1852 L

Post by Elwyn » 19 Aug 2012, 21:24

The marriage between Robert McKay and Mary Ann Downey (or Donney) was registered in Larne in 1852 Volume 6, page 508. His father was Alexander, hers Hugh.

If you order a copy of the civil certificate, it should give you their townlands (addresses) and father's occupations. You may then be able to trace back further with that. Go to the GRO Roscommon website: www.groireland.ie/ Download the application form you need, and complete with the information you have, including the location, year, Volume & page number. Put that information on the lines for date and place of the event etc. DonÔÇÖt worry if you have to leave some boxes blank, eg PPS number. Be sure to tick the box marked photocopy. You then either fax or post the form off (there is no e-mail option for certs pre 1.1.1922). Their turnaround time is 7 to 10 days plus however long the post takes. Should cost 4 euros.

Tradition was to marry in the brideÔÇÖs church, so the church where they married may be the place to look for Mary AnneÔÇÖs baptism and that of any siblings. That'll be on the marriage cert.

Muskie
Oak Twig

Post by Muskie » 20 Aug 2012, 17:55

Elwyn wrote:The marriage between Robert McKay and Mary Ann Downey (or Donney) was registered in Larne in 1852 Volume 6, page 508. His father was Alexander, hers Hugh.

If you order a copy of the civil certificate, it should give you their townlands (addresses) and father's occupations. You may then be able to trace back further with that. Go to the GRO Roscommon website: http://www.groireland.ie/ Download the application form you need, and complete with the information you have, including the location, year, Volume & page number. Put that information on the lines for date and place of the event etc. DonÔÇÖt worry if you have to leave some boxes blank, eg PPS number. Be sure to tick the box marked photocopy. You then either fax or post the form off (there is no e-mail option for certs pre 1.1.1922). Their turnaround time is 7 to 10 days plus however long the post takes. Should cost 4 euros.

Tradition was to marry in the brideÔÇÖs church, so the church where they married may be the place to look for Mary AnneÔÇÖs baptism and that of any siblings. That'll be on the marriage cert.
Thanks for the help. I did have down Alexander and even Hugh, which I got from some genealogy forum online. I'll look into doing this.

Cheers,

Muskie
Oak Twig

Post by Muskie » 20 Aug 2012, 18:34

I swear I replied... I am following your advice, though I'm not sure what new information it will turn up.

Thanks again!

Elwyn
Trunk

Post by Elwyn » 21 Aug 2012, 18:46

Muskie wrote: I'm not sure what new information it will turn up.

Thanks again!
Well, with fatherÔÇÖs names and townlands (addresses) you may be able to locate the family in Griffiths Valuation, you may be able to find them in the 1851 census (if they lived in one of the townlands in the surviving parts) and you may be able to work out which church records to examine to find siblings, parents marriage etc. You may also be able to track any relevant wills, gravestones and any relevant records in PRONI.

Return to “Larne-Glynn-Glenoe-Raloo-Kilwaughter-Inver-Drains Bay”