1911 Census Records for Co. Antrim & Co. Down online

For anybody that is willing to share information on what records can be obtained from offical sources as PRONI FHC, LDS,etc or
other sources as newspapers, or local knowledge, local books etc.. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderator: irishgen

irishgen
Site Admin
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

1911 Census Records for Co. Antrim & Co. Down online

Post by irishgen » 07 Jan 2009, 00:10

The National Archives of Ireland have announced that the 1911 Census records for Antrim and Down will be available online on 23rd December 2008. The records for 1911 are being digitized first, then those for 1901. Publication of the Census records for other counties will follow between 23rd December and mid-2009.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/a ... plans.html

irishgen
Site Admin
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Re: 1911 Census Records for Co. Antrim & Co. Down online

Post by irishgen » 07 Jan 2009, 00:22

***See:-< http://census.nationalarchives.ie/about ... plans.html >***

Hello one and all,

Firstly all the best in your research during 2009 and further.

Secondly I would like to thank SammyM for the tip about the 4 parts of the 1911 census coming online.

Further I would like to point how useful this census is. When I read the message I thought I can recheck my research as some of my 1911 photocopies are hard to read. Then I discovered I can find the different "cells" or "clusters" of the surnames I am researching. Where are the McAdorey/McAdory/Mc Adorey/Mc Adory or the McFall/McFaul/McFaull/McFawl located firstly in Co. Antrim and then in all the 4 censuses counties now available. By checking their religion I can find those quite likely connected with my family tree. As the census also gives the age I can cross reference with Griffith Valuations and even the 1851 Co. Antrim remains. Not only have they transcribed the census, they also let you see the original records. This contains, how long married, which religion, how many children born and how many still alive in 1911. I have been able to make corrections but you must be careful of the ages given as in 1908 the old Age Pension started so people could be younger that the age claimed and children around the age of 18 could have lower of higher age as there was still a doubt in the peoples mind that the census might be used to conscript if needed, young men into the Forces. (This last never happened)
On the Forum I was helping a person with her research in Islandmagee. She had 2 surnames for her greatgrandmother and thought her parents had never wed. One surname is connected to Islandmagee since the 1700 and the other surname does not appear anywhere in Co. Antrim.
Her next step will to be to consult Matheson's Surnames in Ireland which can found online, in book form or CDrom to locate the area of that surname.
The next point I would like to make has to do with all Irish Genealogy Research. Most people who post on Forums or here do not or are reluctant to post the religion of the person or family. This is a most vital piece of information that can help in so many ways when another person (like myself) would like to help them. You can eliminate so many records, books, resources (like the list the Ulster Volunteers signed, if they are Catholic) etc. The possibilities she gave was Presbyterian or Methodist. The first family name was Presbyterian in the 1700's and later connected with the 1st and 2nd Presbyterians Churches and the Methodist Church of Islandmagee as the surnames appears over the years in the list of Elders etc.
Those that could be the greatgreatgrandfather or brother of the greatgrandmother and of the right age, right first name are also Methodist. She now needs to do further research but the 1911 Census has helped her a little bit in her "Brick Wall".
A useful piece of information connected with Islandmagee is that during the great Religious Revival in the mid-1800's is that many, many Presbyterians joined the Methodist Church there. After a few years some returned to their old Religion but many remained true to the Methodists principles.
So I hope I have given you all a few idea's on using this wonderful new resource. If anybody has more idea's on utilizing the 1911 census I would love to read them.

greetings

L

Owner of:-
Irishgenealogy.net - Domain and Website
Antrim Mailing list
http://irishgenealogy.net/

Irish Genealogy on the Net Forum
http://irishgenealogy.net/cp/phpBB3/index.php
(No need to register if you only want to read the messages.
Only those registered can post messages or replies)

If you have problems with the Forum email me...
antrim-owner@irishgenealogy.net

Return to “What records are available”