Armoy-(copied from Lewis 1837)

History of Co. Antrim Towns
For anybody that is willing to share historical information on Co. Antrim Towns obtained from offical sources as books, PRONI or newspapers, or local knowledge or any books like BASSETT's Directory - 1888. If need be I will start separate forums

Moderator: irishgen

Post Reply
irishgen
Site Admin
Posts: 1157
Joined: 22 Sep 2003, 19:55
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3
Location: Geldrop, The Netherlands
Contact:

Armoy-(copied from Lewis 1837)

Post by irishgen » 28 Jun 2004, 13:54

Topographical Dictionary of Ireland

with historical and statistical descriptions 1837

by Samuel Lewis

ARMOY, or ARDMOY, a parish, partly in the barony of UPPER DUNLUCE, but chiefly in that of CAREY, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Ballycastle ; containing 2622 inhabitants, of
which number, 129 are in the village. St. Patrick is said to have had a
cell at this place, where, in attempting to convert the natives to
Christianity, his disciple Uhda was killed. The parish is situated on
the river Bush, and is intersected by a small river called the
Wellwater, which rises in a bog on the eastern side, and, with its
tributary streams, flows through the parish into the river Bush on the
western side. The road from Ballycastle to Ballymena passes through it,
and is intersected by one from east to west, and by another from
north-east to south-west. It comprises, according to the Ordnance
survey, 9349 statute acres, of which 826 and three quarters are in Upper
Dunluce and 8522 and a quarter in Carey ; about seven-tenths are arable,
pasture, and meadow land. The surface is broken by a ridge of mountains
which take their names from the townlands to which they are contiguous,
and of which the north side affords good pasturage for cattle, and the
summits are heathy and barren; about nine-tenths of the great hill of
Knocklayd, the highest in the county, is good arable and pasture land.
That portion of the parish which is under tillage is in a very high
state of cultivation ; the system of agriculture is rapidly improving,
and composts of lime and earth, or moss, are used as manure for
potatoes, by which the produce is greatly increased. There are three
bogs, called respectively Ballyhenver, Breen, and Belaney, and the small
bog of Moninacloygh ; and turf may be had on the sides and summits of
all the mountains. Several quarries of excellent white limestone and
basalt afford good materials for building, and for repairing the roads.
Turnarobert is the residence of the Rev. S. Hunter. The whole of the
parish, with the exception of the townlands of Ballycanver, Park,
Bunshanloney, and Mulaghduff, and part of the village of Armoy, belongs
to the see of Connor. The village is very flourishing and has a penny
post to Ballycastle : several handsome houses have been built, new roads
have been opened, and bridges constructed over the river Wellwater.
Fairs for horses, horned cattle, pigs, corn, and butter, are held on
Jan. 25th, Feb. 25th, March 29th. May 25th, Aug. 16th, Nov. 14th, and
Dec. 26th.
The living was formerly a vicarage, the rectory being appropriate to the
archdeaconry of Connor, from the year 1609 till 1831, when, upon the
decease of Dr. Trail, the last archdeacon, it became a rectory under the
provisions of Bishop Mant's act; it is in the diocese of Connor, and in
the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £225. The church,
situated in the centre of the parish, was rebuilt in 1820, for which a
loan of £415 was obtained from the late Board of First Fruits: it is a
neat plain edifice, and has been lately repaired by a grant of £128 from
the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house was built in 1807, at
an expense of £376. 10. 4. : the glebe comprises 23 acres, valued at £30
per annum. In the R. C. divisions this parish is united with that of
Ballintoy, in each of which there is a chapel: that in Armoy is a small
edifice. There is also a place of worship for Presbyterians in
connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class. The parochial
school is in the townland of Doonan; there are national schools at
Breene and in the village of Armoy, and another school at Mulaghduff. In
the churchyard are the remains of an ancient round tower, 47 and a half
feet in circumference and 36 feet high ; the present rector has enclosed
the upper part with a dome of wood and stone, in which is placed the
church bell. Some beautifully clear crystals, called Irish Diamonds, are
found on Knocklayd; and fragments of gneiss, porphyry and mica slate are
found in various parts of the parish.



borrowed from
http://radiocarbon.pa.qub.ac.uk/local/u ... armoy.html

Post Reply

Return to “History of Co. Antrim Towns”