DERVOCK:-Lewis's Topographical Directory of Ireland, 1837

History of Co. Antrim Towns
For anybody that is willing to share historical information on Co. Antrim Towns obtained from offical sources as books, PRONI or newspapers, or local knowledge or any books like BASSETT's Directory - 1888. If need be I will start separate forums

Moderator: irishgen

Post Reply
irishgen
Site Admin
Posts: 1157
Joined: 22 Sep 2003, 19:55
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3
Location: Geldrop, The Netherlands
Contact:

DERVOCK:-Lewis's Topographical Directory of Ireland, 1837

Post by irishgen » 01 Sep 2004, 17:23

DERVOCK, a post-town, in that part of the parish of DERRYKEIGHAN which is in the barony of LOWER DUNLUCE, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 10 miles (E.N.E.) from Coleraine (County Londonderry); and 123 (N. by W.) from Dublin, on the turnpike road from Ballycastle to Ballymoney; containing 362 inhabitants. This is a neat and well-built town, consisting of two streets, one on each side of the river Bush, and containing about 65 houses.

It belongs entirely to G. Macartney, Esq., and has been greatly improved of late years. While in the possession of the late Lord Macartney, great encouragement was afforded to the linen manufacturers to settle here. There are some extensive corn and flour-mills on the banks of the river. Fairs are held for cattle and sheep, but chiefly for horses, on Jan. l2th, Feb. 23rd, May 14th, June 22nd, Ang 12th, and Oct. 29th.

A constabulary police force has been stationed here. The parish church, a handsome structure, is situated close to the town; as is also an R. C. chapel dependent on that of Ballymoney, and the Presbyterian meeting-house of the Synod of Ulster, which is a large building.

A very handsome school-house was erected by G. Macartney, Esq., in 1829, and given by that gentleman for a parochial school; attached to it is a girls' school, established in 1832, and principally supported by Mrs. Macartney.

Post Reply

Return to “History of Co. Antrim Towns”