Ballyeaston-(copied from Lewis 1837)

History of Co. Antrim Towns
For anybody that is willing to share historical information on Co. Antrim Towns obtained from offical sources as books, PRONI or newspapers, or local knowledge or any books like BASSETT's Directory - 1888. If need be I will start separate forums

Moderator: irishgen

Post Reply
irishgen
Site Admin
Posts: 1157
Joined: 22 Sep 2003, 19:55
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3
Location: Geldrop, The Netherlands
Contact:

Ballyeaston-(copied from Lewis 1837)

Post by irishgen » 09 Sep 2004, 21:48

Topographical Dictionary of Ireland

with historical and statistical descriptions 1837

by Samuel Lewis

Ballyeaston

BALLYEASTON, a district parish, in the barony of UPPER ANTRIM county of ANTRIM and province of Ulster, on the road from Ballyclare to Lame; containing with the post-town of Ballyclare and the grange of Doagh, 5892 inhabitants. It consists of the ancient parishes of Ballycor and Rashee, comprising, according to the Ordnance survey, 13,790 and a half statute acres ; about one-half of which are arable. The village, which is 1 and a half Irish mile (N.) from Ballyclare, is situated at the junction of several roads, near the Six-mile-water, and in 1831 contained 61 houses. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Connor, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Carncastle : the income of the curate is £103. 1. 6 and a half per ann., of which £69. 4. 7 and a half arises from tithe, £13. 6. 11. is added by the prebendary, and £20 from Primate Boulter's fund. The church was erected in 1786. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Carrickfergus and Lame. There are four places of worship for Presbyterians ; one in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the first class ; one with the Presbytery of Antrim, of the second class; one with the Seceding Synod, also of the second class ; and one for Covenanters, which is open every alternate Sunday. There are four schools, in which are about 140 boys and 90 girls; also nine pay schools, in which are about 160 boys and 110 girls.



borrowed from
http://radiocarbon.pa.qub.ac.uk/local/u ... aston.html

Post Reply

Return to “History of Co. Antrim Towns”