Brickwalls

Post what you like. Please do not be rude or offense to anyone.

Moderator: irishgen

Christopher

Brickwalls

Post by Christopher » 15 Dec 2008, 17:34

Most people researching their Irish ancestry hit the occasional brickwall. A common one is finding certificates which show Ireland as their ancestor's country of origin. Nothing else is mentioned ... no county, parish or townland. One way to start establishing where your ancestors were born is to think about the province where their birth may have taken place rather than the county, parish or townland. There are only four provinces whereas there are much larger numbers of the other areas.

Emerald Ancestors, Ulster Ancestry and the Ulster Historical Foundation have the right idea. It surprises me that the other provinces have not been broken into genealogical areas of research. The majority of websites which have message boards where people can post queries relating to their Irish ancestors offer all the counties of Ireland. They don't even offer boards for each of the four provinces where links relating to them can be found ... you have to search all over the place.

While I'm on the subject of getting a few grumbles off my chest I may as well mention library websites. Does anyone know of another Irish Library website which meets the same high standards that have been set the Clare County Library? Have a look at it and it's online genealogy records www.clarelibrary.ie

Return to “Post your remarks here”