RESEARCHING THE MCHENRY FAMILIES FROM THE GLENS OF ANTRIM

For anybody that is searching for family links in the area covered by the coast road towns Ballygally -Glenarm-Carnlough-Waterfoot-Cushendall-Cushendun-Ballycastle area. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

fyldemac
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

RESEARCHING THE MCHENRY FAMILIES FROM THE GLENS OF ANTRIM

Post by fyldemac » 17 Mar 2011, 19:42

In my initial posting of 6 February 2011, under ÔÇ£McHenry of GlenarmÔÇØ, I set out what I know of my McHenry family from the Glenarm area. Thanks to those of you who read the posting.

I thought, however, that I would follow up with a second posting on the off chance that widening the search and introducing other names might establish a link within the McHenry, McKendry and McHendry fraternity.

There were more McHenry and McKendry families further inland around the Ballymena area and beyond, and in the other Glens of Antrim. Also, there seems to have been a McHenry stronghold around the Ballycastle area to the north.

There are too many names to mention here but perhaps listing some associated with the Glenarm area in particular might spark interest with another McHenry researcher looking to make similar breakthroughs.

So, returning to the Glenarm area, there were McHenryÔÇÖs listed on the 1861 Griffiths Valuation at Munie North, inland from the town - a John Snr and John Jnr leasing land and Neil McHenry a house on land leased by Charles Gibson. But John JnrÔÇÖs** name appears later as McKendry. And it seems that the McKendry family [Roman Catholics] continued to farm the same land for the rest of the 19th Century.

[**John McHenry or McKendry Jnr 1835-1898 married Rose OÔÇÖDonnell and known children were Patrick 1866 (married Mary OÔÇÖBoyle of Cruckan), Mary 1868, Kate 1871 (who married John Murray of Co Kildare), Rose 1877, John 1880 and Neil 1881.]

Felix McKillop, the local author and historian has helped me with more information. And it seems that earlier leases in Munie [1832/1850] included not just a John McHenry but Daniel McHenry and then Widow McHenry.

Thanks to Felix, the earliest mention I can see is to 1820 when Guy Morrow rented land near Carnagear Sheddings, formerly occupied by Alex OÔÇÖMulvenna and Dan McKendry.

There was another McHenry family in the Munie area ÔÇô from Census returns they were Presbyterian. A headstone in the old Glebe Cemetery was erected by Thomas McHenry1845-1921 in memory of his father William 1818-1887, mother Ellen 1811-1877, sister Martha 1850-1885 and his own daughter Martha 1890-1911.

I think this William McHenry 1818 was the William McKendry farming at Deerpark Farms from at least 1859 [and who is recorded as William McKennary on Griffiths]. I think his wife was Ellen McVeigh.

Besides Thomas 1845, I believe William and Ellen had [at least] children Elizabeth (who married Thomas Russell of Munie in 1870) and Martha 1850 (who married John Montgomery of Old Church in 1876).

Thomas McHenry 1845 married Martha Wright in Glenarm in 1872. Their [known] children of 10 born were William J[ohn?] 1872 (who married Sarah Martin 1870 from Glenwhirry and was living in Larne 1901/1911), Margaret 1877, David 1879, Thomas 1880, James 1885, Robert 1887 and Martha 1890.

Thomas McHenry 1845 also discloses on the 1911 Census that he was born in Loughconnelly ÔÇô which is near Broughshane.

On the Griffiths Valuation, there is also an Ellen McKenry leasing land at Ballyvaddy, which borders Munie to the north.

Also in the Glenarm area, I am aware of a number of births etc relating to the name McHenry and mention them in case somebody can see a link into their own family lines:-

John McGavock born 1826 to Daniel McGavock & Catherine McHenry ÔÇô RC
Jane OÔÇÖDornan born 1849 to Edward OÔÇÖDornan & Margaret McHenry ÔÇô RC [sponsor Elizabeth McHenry of Deerpark West]
James OÔÇÖDornan born 1850 to Edward OÔÇÖDornan & Margaret McHenry ÔÇô RC
Roseanne McAllister born 1849 to James McAllister & Ellen McHenry ÔÇô RC [sponsor Mary McHenry of Munie South]
Mary McAllister born 1853 to James McAllister & Ellen McHenry
Catherine McHenry married John McFadden in Glenarm 1849
Ellen McHenry married John Gregg in Glenarm in 1867
Esther McHenry born 1866 to Hugh McHenry [or McKendry] & Mary Ann Russell
Ellen McKendry born 1868 to Hugh McHenry [or McKendry] & Mary Ann Russell
Bridget McHenry c1822 married Bernard OÔÇÖDornan in 1852 in Glenarm ÔÇô RC [at least one son Daniel c1850 ÔÇô the OÔÇÖDornan family were at Slane, Longfield on the 1901/1911 Census]

IÔÇÖd better finish before I outstay my welcome but I would really appreciate contact or comment from anybody interested in the McHenry name in Ireland. McHenry is not a common name and I feel sure family connections exist within the Glens of Antrim and the surrounding areas. Just a case of finding them- and IÔÇÖm not giving up just yet!

Ian McHenry

b4ckh
Oak Twig

Re: RESEARCHING THE MCHENRY FAMILIES FROM THE GLENS OF ANTRI

Post by b4ckh » 01 Jul 2011, 14:21

Neil,

Have been trying to post a reply to your message(s), without success.

Have been searching forever for a John McHenry born in Ireland c. 1801, with many similarities to your gt gt grandfather. The message I composed yesterday was lengthy, but somehow it disappeared before posting. Am trying againtoday with a short note, to see if it posts. If succesful, will write further.

Regards from Canada,

Barbara

tomm
Oak Twig

Post by tomm » 10 Aug 2011, 19:50

Seeking information on the parents of Robert McHenry b 1890 probably in Glenarm area, died in 1919 at Lachine, Quebec, Canada. He was married to Jane Rea b 7 Oct 1891 in Drumcrow, Glenarm and probably died 30 Mar 1970 possibly in Canada. They had 2 children Hannah Eileen b 1916 and James b 1918. The latter drowned accidently on a visit to Ireland in 1920.

fyldemac
Oak Twig

Post by fyldemac » 03 Oct 2011, 14:47

Tomm

Sorry for not picking up your post sooner.

You say that Robert McHenry was born in 1890. If he was born in Glenarm then I think his birth would be recorded in the Larne Registration District. The only Robert McHenry birth I can see is one registered Oct-Dec 1887 [under M'Henry]. That Robert McHenry was the son of Thomas and Martha McHenry mentioned in my post - the section of the text which starts "There was another McHenry family in the Munie area..."

I can only suggest that you obtain a copy of either that Robert's birth certificate or the marriage certificate of Robert McHenry and Jane Rea registered in Larne July-Sept 1910.

I'm not sure when Robert McHenry went to Canada but, from what I can see, Jane didn't go to join her husband until February 1914. But I cannot find either of them on the 1911 Irish Census. Jane is not with the Rea family at Drumcrow.

Not sure this is of much assistance but let me know if I can help further.

Ian

Return to “Ballygally-Glenarm-Cushendall-Ballycastle”