Beggs & McAuley

For anybody that is searching for family links in the area covered by the coast road towns Ballygally -Glenarm-Carnlough-Waterfoot-Cushendall-Cushendun-Ballycastle area. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

Jennifer

Beggs & McAuley

Post by Jennifer » 20 Oct 2006, 07:38

Hello...
I am researching my Beggs family who lived in Ballygally. My gg-grandfather James Beggs married Helena (Lena) McAuley (daughter of Robert McAuley and Sarah Rea) in 1858 in the Buckna Presbyterian Church. On the marriage certificate, James' residence was noted as Maghermully, Skerry (possibly Maghera? 30 km west of Ballymena I believe) and Lena's residence was given as Carnalbaba, Ticmacrevan (possibly Carnalbanagh Shedding, about 15 km east of Ballymena I'm told.) I've tried to get a map which could help me to see where these areas are, but I've not had a lot of luck so far. Are these places close to Ballygally where my Beggs family lived? My ggg-grandfather William Beggs (c1800) married Jane Graham (1803-1872) -and they had Charles 1823, Ann Jane 1825, James 1827, John 1835, Thomas 1836, William 1841, Elizabeth 1844 and Nathaniel 1846. Most of these children came to Australia, but William who went to Belfast (though some of his family in later generations came to Oz) and Nathaniel who spent some time in Scotland, but returned at a later time. Am interested in anything I can find out about this family.

Laurence
Oak Twig
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 5

Co Antrim Townlands

Post by Laurence » 21 Feb 2007, 13:28

Jennifer,

The 2 places you speak of I believe are maghermully townland in the civil parish of Skerry and Carnalbanagh townland in the civil parish of Tickmacrevan. Access AncestryIreland.com to see map of parishes.

Both are very close to Buckna. I live in Ballygally about 8 miles or so from Carnalbanagh. My g/g/g/g grandfather John McAuley lived in Ballygally confirmed in 1816.

Laurence McAuley

Peggy
Oak Twig

Re: Beggs & McAuley

Post by Peggy » 27 Aug 2012, 00:51

Hello, I am researching the family of Thomas Beggs and Margaret Boyd who married in First Donegore Church at Kilbride. Margaret was a niece to John Lawson of Kilbride.
I was sent a DVD of marriages and baptisms there and found the marriage of Thomas and Margaret on March 31, 1831. Then I found baptisms for 3 children to them in 1832, 1835
and 1840. I have 2 letters written to Margaret in 1841 and 1847 from her father Samuel Carson Boyd who had emigrated to Canada and Margaret was living in Ballyvoy at that time. I have been told that the nearest Presbyterian church would be in Ballycastle. Does anyone have information on Thomas and Margaret or can anyone tell me an email address for the church in Ballycastle, or help me in any way?
Perhaps they died in Ballyvoy. Margaret was born abt. 1810-1820 in Oxford, England as her father had inherited a wine and brandy business there although the family was from Ireland originally, and I
am thinking Carnmoney but have been unable to prove it as yet. Samuel Carson Boyd's mother was Jenny Boyd nee Carson but I don't know Jenny's husband's name.
Thanks for any help.

Return to “Ballygally-Glenarm-Cushendall-Ballycastle”