Ballywalter Co. Down (copied from Lewis 1837)

Links to sites that cover the history of a town or area. Also those that have genealogy area information on line.
Please post any that you know.
Post Reply
Christopher

Ballywalter Co. Down (copied from Lewis 1837)

Post by Christopher » 03 Sep 2007, 15:24

BALLYWALTER, or WHITECHURCH, a parish, in the barony of ARDES, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (N. E.) from Kirkcubbin: the population is returned with the the union of St. Andrew's. This parish is situated on the eastern coast, and with a detached portion comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 3379 statute acres. The village, which in 1831 contained 664 inhabitants, is situated in lat. 54° 32' 20" (N.), and lon. 5° 28' (W.), and is a coast-guard station, forming one of the twelve that constitute the district of Donaghadee. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Down, and is part of the union of Ballywalter or St. Andrew's; the rectory is appropriate to the Lord-Primate. The tithes amount to £339. 18. 1., of which £226. 12. 1. is payable to the Lord-Primate, and £113. 6. to the incumbent. On the next avoidance of the benefice of St. Andrew's, this parish will become a separate living, in the patronage of the Lord-Primate. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Lower Ardes. There are two places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster. Some ruins of the old church yet exist.

Ballywalter Park has been in the ownership of the Mulholland family for over one hundred and fifty years it was purchased by Andrew Mulholland, from the Matthews family in 1846 for the, then, princely sum of £23,000. Click on the link to learn more about the history of this property ... http://www.ballywalterpark.com/history.html

Post Reply

Return to “Links to Irish Towns, etc.”