Barony of Glencarn, Co. Antrim

Links to sites that cover the history of a town or area. Also those that have genealogy area information on line.
Please post any that you know.
Mari5199
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Barony of Glencarn, Co. Antrim

Post by Mari5199 » 13 Apr 2009, 23:17

I am researching the name MacKillop/MacKillip/McKillip/McKillop, etc. and in the course of my research came across that the name is "recorded in the "census" of 1659 among the principal Irish names with some Scotch in the barony of Glencarn, Co. Antrim: Antrim. Since then practically all references met, such as wills, birth registrations etc. have been to Co. Antrim or an adjacent Ulster county."

I was told that Glencairn was once the estate of the Cunningham family given to them for services rendered to the King at the time of the Ulster Plantation and that it is located on the fringe of West Belfast.

Unfortunately, this is all I have been able to learn of this place. I would be curious to know what parish this is located in, I'm not familiar yet with the parishes,towns, baronies, etc of Ireland as I am relatively new to researching Northern Ireland.

It's my understanding the family were Ulster Scots and emigrated to Pennsylvania in the first or early second wave of emigrants from NI.

Any helpful hints as to the best means of researching in this area would also be appreciated. I am researching from the US, so am unable to do any research in person at PRONI, etc. although their online records are appreciated!

Many thanks,
Marianne McCalip

Christopher

Re: Barony of Glencarn, Co. Antrim

Post by Christopher » 28 Apr 2009, 02:58

Hi Marianne,

There seems to be a Glencarn / Glencairn near Glenarm, Co. Antrim but as far as I'm aware there isn't a Barony of Glencarn in Co. Antrim. There was a Barony of Glencairn & Sheriffdom of Dumfries in Scotland. I tried the IreAtlas site http://www.seanruad.com for a Barony of Glencarn in Co. Antrim but it's not on that database. The Cunningham family settled at Killead, Co. Antrim, ten miles from Belfast, in the seventeenth century and didn't move to the Glencairn area of Belfast until the late nineteenth century. http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/parkshist ... ncairn.asp

Christopher

Mari5199
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Re: Barony of Glencarn, Co. Antrim

Post by Mari5199 » 01 Mar 2010, 18:32

I apologize for my embarrassingly late reply, Christopher. I appreciate your follow up. It looks as though it is Glenarm, and not Glencarn. I believe the Glencarn refernence I came across must have been an typo?

Anyhow, now that I'm starting to dig a little deeper, I'm sure I'll be on this site more often, looking for help from you all!

Thanks again!

Marianne

Return to “Links to Irish Towns, etc.”