Flax Dresser Lurgan Kelty/Kilty and Killops Family

For anybody that is searching for family links in the area covered by Belfast area in Co. Antrim or Co. Down.
If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

Caledonia 1
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Flax Dresser Lurgan Kelty/Kilty and Killops Family

Post by Caledonia 1 » 25 Nov 2010, 12:27

Hi Folks,
Discovered recently that there is the strong possibility that my ancestors are from Down, the man that I have traced furthest back is Barnard Kilty/Kelty. On the 1841 census for Wigtownshire Scotland, he is described as a flax dresser born in Ireland, his in-laws are the Killops family, from Inch Down.
James Killops & Elizabeth Killops ms Dougan Mar: 04/Nov/1848 Inch Down.

Children: Annabella 26th/April/1850 Down patrick Down. Elizabeth Jane or Elizabeth Louise 27th/Jan/1851 Inch Down. Elizabeth 28th Jan/1852 Inch Down. Mary 26th/Oct/1853 Inch Down. John 28th/Jan/1856 Inch Down. Elen 15th/July/1858 Killyleagh Down. Emily 30th/Jan/1861 Killyleagh Down.

On the 1871 Census in Inch Wigtownshire, James and his wife Elizabeth's surviving children are: Elizabeth Jane/ Mary/ John/ Helen/ Emily, and a further 3 boys born in Inch Wigtown Scotland: Samuel born 1864. William 1868. James 1870. Annabella Killops married Mark/Martin Kilty 22nd Nov.1869 Inch Wigtown, Mark Kilty is the grandson of Barnard Kilty Flax Dresser from perhaps the Lurgan region? Down, His brother's names would have been John/Robert/William and James.

On arrival in Wigtownshire, Scotland about 1863/4 the Killops family lived in Stoneykirk as did Barnard Kilty's family. Any help with further info for these family's in Ireland would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Caladonia

Elwyn
Trunk

Re: Flax Dresser Lurgan Kelty/Kilty and Killops Family

Post by Elwyn » 28 Nov 2010, 13:56

Have a look at Ros Davies website on Co Down. I can see the Killops ÔÇô Duggan marriage in 1848 listed there.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... rosdavies/

Tradition was to marry in the wifeÔÇÖs church (Church of Ireland in this case) so you might be able to trace her family through those church records, if they exist. See PRONI website:

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_ ... ndexes.htm

Caledonia 1
Oak Twig

Re: Flax Dresser Lurgan Kelty/Kilty and Killops Family

Post by Caledonia 1 » 29 Nov 2010, 09:03

Thanks Elwyn,
I did this, and the email for this person bounces, it must be an old posting, from what I saw on the PRONI site I would have to visit Belfast to view these records, they don't appear to be available online, perhaps a trip next year! :idea:
Regards
Caledonia

Return to “Belfast -Co.Antrim & Co. Down”