Recent lookups

For anybody that is searching for family links in the area covered by Belfast area in Co. Antrim or Co. Down.
If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

hevside
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Recent lookups

Post by hevside » 12 Aug 2011, 17:01

Hello

I am in England but researching my partner's ancestry, these being the McCausland and Carroll families from Belfast. I have found the older records to be very good but having a problem with those more recent. I know that many records were destroyed from 1920ish. Can anyone tell me whether these later records/indexes can be searching if I were to fly over to visit PRO or GRO or are they totally missing. If not is there any way of searching for events that happened after 1920? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks. Heather

irishgen
Site Admin

Re: Recent lookups

Post by irishgen » 13 Aug 2011, 02:29

Not sure what records you are referring to. The majority of records destroyed in the 4 Courts Dublin fire/explosion were Church of Ireland records. These were mostly the originals with no copies. Other stuff was destroyed but the destruction of those records leaves a large hole in doing Genealogy research.

The 1901 and 1911 Censuses for Ireland are now on-line.

Check out the PRONI website for what is available.

To research in Ireland it very much desired that you know the religion of the subjects.

greetings

L

hevside
Oak Twig

Post by hevside » 28 Aug 2011, 11:47

Hi

Thanks for that. It is particularly birth and marriage records from 1920 to 1935 era. You say these were destroyed. So am I right in saying that a birth or marriage certificate for that era cannot be applied for at all? What happens with those people still alive who need to get one for their passport application or the like? If they are not available at all and I know my people were Church of Ireland, are their parich baptisms and marriage records available, if so where?

Many thanks
Heather

irishgen
Site Admin

Post by irishgen » 29 Aug 2011, 03:50

Sorry for any misunderstanding about the availability of records in the 1920 to the present day.

If you need a birth or marriage certificate you need to apply to GRONI in Belfast for a copy.

Not sure if you are familiar with NI birth, death & marriage records but
in case you are not, those for events from 1.1.1922 onwards are not on-line, and
you need to apply to GRONI in Belfast for a copy.

Researching in Ireland there are 2 distinct resources. Those made since 1864, some earlier exceptions, of birth, death & marriage records to comply with Goverment Laws. Since 1.1.1922 there is a division in records maintained in the Irish Republic and those in N. Ireland at the GRONI in Belfast.
The other record sort you will find at the PRONI in Belfast and the different religious buildings or offices. These records were freely maintained by various church denominations.
As only the Church of Ireland was recognised as the Established Church throughout Ireland they had/have very good records on birth, marriages and sometimes deaths.
At certain point in time the Church of Ireland ( maybe other church denominations as well) was required to deposit their "original records" at the Four Courts in Dublin, the site of the Public Record Office. This was sized by non-governmental forces and the new Irish Army dislodged them with heavy artillery. So some reports say fire, others say a explosion destroyed the building and a lot of these "original records" were destroyed plus much more. Now many clergy did not comply or had copies made, so there might be a copy of interest to be found.

Visit http://www.proni.gov.uk or https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/do-it ... ine-Home-1

Hope this helps to clarify the situation. I work mainly with Irish Records before 1922 when the split came.

greetings

Liam

Return to “Belfast -Co.Antrim & Co. Down”