Kennedy @ Ballylummin, [Aughnahoy], Ahoghill/ Ballymena

For anybody that is searching for family links in the area covered by the Ahoghill area.

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

PMcnally

Kennedy @ Ballylummin, [Aughnahoy], Ahoghill/ Ballymena

Post by PMcnally » 05 Dec 2005, 19:46

Looking for relatives of:

Birth Record:

Ellen Kennedy was born on 23 February 1873 at Ballylummin, Ahoghill which is in the registration district of Ahoghill in the Union of Ballymena, Co. Antrim. Her father was Bryan Kennedy, Ballylummin, a Labourer. Her mother was June [or Jane] Kennedy formerly Dickey. The birth was registered on 14 March 1873 by Nancy Luke, Ballylummin, who was present at birth. Nancy signed with her mark.

Does any of this following data link into this family?

ORDNANCE SURVEY MEMOIRS OF COUNTY ANTRIM VII: Ballymena and West Antrim
VOLUME 23:
Statistical Report by Lieutenant T.C. Robe Apr. 1833
by Lew Gregory lgregory@top.monad.net

PARISHES: AHOGHILL ; BALLYCLUG; FINVOY

DICKEY 63
DICKEY, John 12 34
KENNEDY 60 76
KENNEDY, Bernard 34
KENNEDY, James 38
KENNEDY, John, Ann 37

[These are ages so in 1833, Bernard Kennedy would have been born abt. 1799. This could the older/senior Bernard Kennedy.
The older Kennedys age 60 & age 76 could well have been the privious generation and/or the parents of James, Bernard, and John.
This older Kennedy age 76 would have been born in about 1757.

In the 1848-1864 period there is a Bernard Kennedy there, as well.

John Dickey could have been Jane's brother and the older Dickey age 63, her father?? This kind of fits but is it accurate?

Bernard and Jane along with Ellen are in Scotland by 1881 [see following]

1881Census shows family @ 31 Watsonville Rows, Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland

BERNARD 35 WISHAW [Why was Bernard b Scotland?]
JANE 36 IRE
SARA ANN 14 IRE
MARY JANE 11 IRE
THERESA 09 IRE
HELEN 08 IRE
AGNES 05 MOTHERWELL [Scotland]
FRANCIS 01 MOTHERWELL [Scotland]

[so in abt 1865 Bernard Kennedy would have been in Ire.
Griffith Valuation of 1848-1864 shows that there was a Bernard Kennedy @ Broughshane St. Ballymena, Antrim!]

It would appear that this family was in Ireland during the 1867 and 1879 period.

I am really in hope that this will tie into someone else's family reseach!

Peace,

Walt Kahnle
Marietta, Georgia

Ellen and other Kennedys, Ahoghill Parish

Post by Guest » 09 Dec 2005, 09:14

Hello Walt or PMcNally, I'm not sure which one posted this

There were many Kennedys in Ahoghill Parish in the 1800s. My great grandfather's sister, Mary Hutton, married John Kennedy at St Mary's RC Chapel in Ahoghill in 1878. John was born 1850 to Patrick Kennedy and Ellen (last name-Gregory, I think. The handwriting in the church records is barely readable). These Kennedys were from Kilcurry which is in Portglenone Parish just 1-2 miles from Ballylummin in Ahoghill Parish.

I found your Ellen Kennedy in the records from St Marys. She was baptised 24 Feb 1873 daughter of Bryan Kennedy and Jane Dickey who were listed as from Galgorm Parks, which is a townland north of Ballymena. The sponsors at the baptism were Ellen Marron and Michael (unreadable- maybe Kennedy, Keenan, Kernan, Teenan???).

There are quite a few Kennedys buried at St Marys and some from Ballylummin. There's a large stone there placed by John Kennedy for my Mary Hutton Kennedy who died in childbirth in April 1879 and also his mother, Ellen Kennedy, who died 3 May 1877, age 51 in Kilcurry. Also in the plot are other Hutton and Hughes relatives. There was also connections to McNally/McAnallys if you are connected to them.

There is another Ellen Kennedy buried at St Marys. She died 16 Nov 1932, no age given, and is buried with other Kennedys and Hardys.
There were, obviously, many intermarriages of the families from St Marys.

Ballylummin is a townland on the western border of Ahoghill Parish and is adjacent to Portglenone Parish. Catholics from the Portglenone area used to attend church at Ahoghill before until a chapel was built in Portglenone.

In Griffiths Valuation of 1862, there were 4 Kennedys in Ballylummin, Francis, Dominick, Wm and Robert. No trace of any Bryan Kennedy in all of Co Antrim. I have found traces of Francis, Dom and Wm in the records from St Marys. Maybe Bryan was the son or younger brother of one of these Kennedys ?

In 1862 Griffiths, there were no Dickeys in Ahoghill Parish.
There was 1 Dickey in Portglenone Parish, an Alexander Dickey in the townland of Ballynafie. Ballynafie is just across the parish line from Ballylummin.

When John Kennedy married Mary Hutton in 1878, he was listed as living in Glasgow, Scotland area. Many laborers migrated back and forth between Co Antrim and Scotland to follow the job opportunities. I know of many extended family members who left Co Antrim permanently in the 1880-1900 time frame to follow the work in Scotland or America

Hope this helps.
Let me know if there might be some connections with our families.
Rick Hutton, USA

irishgen
Site Admin
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Re: Kennedy @ Ballylummin, [Aughnahoy], Ahoghill/ B

Post by irishgen » 11 Dec 2005, 11:18

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 12:28 AM
Subject: Re: [antrim] Kennedy @ Ballylummin, [Aughnahoy], Ahoghill/ Ballymena

FYI

from the elections of County Antrim

LUKE james born after 1740 lived Islandreagh in Nilteen Grange

3 Kennedy's born after 1740

Alexander of Dunturky in Balllynure

Jacob of Kilwaughter

William of Procklis in Drummaul

DICKEY James of DUnmore

Dickey Thomas of Ballydonnellan in rasharkin

also DICKIE Alexander of Ballygally

James of Morusk

William of Kildowny

these were all Protestant landowners that owned at least one acre and voted in 1776 County Antrim elections

In 1841 census used for the old aage pensioners there was David Kennedy age 50 born in Antrim and married in 1817 to a Susanna of Toome Upper Baroney

She was 41

THey had Mary Ann age 22

John age 14

William age 12

Nancy age 9

Mathew age 6 and Susanna age 3

At the time this family lived in Ballymonetenagh

There were also kennedy's in down and londonderry

1851 CENSUS OF aNTRIM

dickey jOSEPH BORN IN aNTRIM AGE 40

MARRIED IN 1832 TO mARY AGE 30 BORN tOOME uPPER

rOSE THEIR DAUGHTER AGE 17

mARGARET AGE 13

nATHANIEL AGE 12

mARY AGE 11

jANE AGE 9

sALLY AGE 8

WHO MARRIED ONE OF THE sTEWART'S

mARTHA AGE 4

kennedy jAMES

mARY aNN HIS WIFE

SHE WAS BORN IN kILconway

William age 13

Robert age 7

Sam age 3

Jane age 6 months

John lived in Londonderry and Thomas in Tyrone

Should you need anything alse mentioned let me know.

Marianne in Las Vwegas NV

barbara brown
Oak Twig
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 5

Kennedy @ Ballylummin Ahoghill/Ballymena

Post by barbara brown » 20 Jul 2006, 02:43

I find your info on this subject very useful particularly on David Kennedy and Susanna of Toome. Can you help any further as I believe Mary Ann to be an ancestor. Her age compared with siblings is suspect?? The old age pension 1841, the history of the time etc., anything would be gratefully received. Many thanks, Barbara Brown NZ

alanfkkennedy
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Re: Kennedy @ Ballylummin, [Aughnahoy], Ahoghill/ Ballymena

Post by alanfkkennedy » 05 Aug 2010, 23:35

I'm writing about David Kennedy and Susanna Spens who were quoted as appearing in the 1841 census.

The details given exactly match those that I found in the IGI. In fact they are so close that I suspect the IGI data has been created from the 1841 census info.
See http://www.familysearch.org and search for David Kennedy's marriage in 1817 in Ireland.

The children you listed were Mary Ann, John, William, Nancy, Matthew and Susanna but William does not appear in the IGI.

I am descended from John Kennedy who married Margaret Invine in Ahoghill in 1849. Her name is given as Irwin in the Antrim (Church of Ireland) marriage records I have found. They had some 5 children there before moving to Scotland between 1861 and 1865 after which they had 3 more and their Ahoghill marriage is noted on these birth certificates. His parentage is confirmed by his 1878 death certfcate.

Matthew Kennedy also moved to Scotland (perhaps in the 1870s) and married Mary Riddell there in 1883. His 1914 death cert shows his parents to have been David Kennedy and Susan Penman(?).

I have found Antrim civil marriage records for Susanna Kennedy of Ballymurlough (24/12/1864) to John Picken and Mary Ann Kennedy of Ballymontenagh (21/3/1866) to James Cleave. I have not found a marriage record for Nancy.

I did not know about William until today!

BARBARA, I'll try to send you an e-mail so we can exchange details.

How can I access the 1841 census info?

Alan Kennedy (Edinburgh)

Return to “Ahoghill”