family names Maxwell, McCully, Cupples, Ewert, Gregg, White

For anybody that is searching for family links in the area covered by the Ahoghill area.

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

Keitha
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

family names Maxwell, McCully, Cupples, Ewert, Gregg, White

Post by Keitha » 01 Jul 2012, 00:05

Trying to locate any relatives of the names above. First names include my grandfather, Samuel Maxwell's cousins:

Alexander, Betty (Elizabeth), Jean Maxwell m. Tom (Cupples), Sara Maxwell m. Mr McCully & went to America

My grandfather, Samuel lived at Aunty Mary Jane Gregg family as at 1901 census. He emigrated to NZ in 1909 or thereabouts with sister Elizabeth, and father Alexander. His sister Mary died in approx 1905.brothers Tom & Jack (John) emigrated earlier, but were in Antrim as at 1901 census.

Sam's cousins, Alex & Betty lived at 110 Cullybackey Rd in the 1950's. Alex was a widower, I believe, and had been a policeman??. He also resided at Galgorm Rd in 1970's.

I have just joined this site through Emerald Ancestors link. I would like help in finding birth certificates of my g.grandfather Alexander (b. 1924 approx - 77 yrs old in 1901 census) but not sure where he was born. Married to Elizabeth Waide nee White in his later years and she died when Sam was born on 16th November 1893, Drumrankin, Craigs.

Any help in obtaining Alexander Maxwell's birth cert is gratefully received.

Elwyn
Trunk

Re: family names Maxwell, McCully, Cupples, Ewert, Gregg, Wh

Post by Elwyn » 01 Jul 2012, 11:04

Keitha wrote: I would like help in finding birth certificates of my g.grandfather Alexander (b. 1924 approx - 77 yrs old in 1901 census) but not sure where he was born. Married to Elizabeth Waide nee White in his later years and she died when Sam was born on 16th November 1893, Drumrankin, Craigs.

Any help in obtaining Alexander Maxwell's birth cert is gratefully received.

Statutory birth registration only started in Ireland in 1864 so you wonÔÇÖt get a birth certificate for Alexander Maxwell born c 1824. You might find his baptism, but to do that you need to know his religious denomination and the parish/church he attended.

Keitha
Oak Twig

Re: family names Maxwell, McCully, Cupples, Ewert, Gregg, Wh

Post by Keitha » 05 Jul 2012, 11:45

thanks for that. I have Alexander's death certificate. It says that John Maxwell is his father & Jane Ewert, his mother. I know he married Eliza Waide 1878 (nee White) in the First Presbyterian Church, Portglenone, and they resided in Eliza Waide & Daniel Waides home in Drumrankin, Ahoghill. (Daniel died in 1884).
I do have a picture of the grave of Joseph Maxwell, married to Mary Maxwell, and Joseph's father & mother buried there as well i.e. Jane & Alexander Maxwell. This is in the first Presbyterian Church graveyard in Ahoghill. Also buried are two of their children, Elizabeth & Alexander (who I believe are the neice & nephew of my g. grandfather, Alexander Maxwell,b. 1824)

Do you know how I search the Parishes/baptism records, other than flying over (from NZ) to do it? I did plan to come over this year, but that is now not happening.

Return to “Ahoghill”