ISSN 1443-5888 Volume 10, No. 4, April 2008

A Monthly Newsletter: Editor: Terry Eakin, 334 Burns Bay Road, LANE COVE, NSW 2066 Contact E-mail address: tea04055@bigpond.net.au
irishgen
Site Admin
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

ISSN 1443-5888 Volume 10, No. 4, April 2008

Post by irishgen » 10 Dec 2008, 16:52

ÔÇÿALL IRELAND SOURCES NEWSLETTERÔÇÖ

Editor: Terry Eakin, 334 Burns Bay Road, LANE COVE, NSW 2066
Contact E-mail address: tea04055@bigpond.net.au ISSN 1443-5888
Volume 10, No. 4, April 2008

Introduction: ÔÇÿAll Ireland SourcesÔÇÖ is a monthly newsletter distributed free by E-mail to Family History Societies and interested researchers near the end of each month. Distribution by Australia Post each three months (three issues) costs $6.00 annually within Australia. The aim is to bring items of interest regarding Irish record sources to the Australian genealogist.
The editor would appreciate being made aware of records relating to the Irish, particularly those held in Australia or new in the LDS Family History Library. Back copies available free for downloading from http://www.sag.org.au
Note new email address.

OLD AGE PENSION CLAIMS NAME INDEX: This was completed and published as Part 1
and Part 2 on microfiche some years ago, ISBN 0 646295 86 1 (nine fiche) and ISBN 0 646295 87 X (six fiche) respectively by Janice Brooks. Janice is now in the final stages of inputting the complete transcripts for all claims which survive in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) and the National Archives of Ireland (NAI). Janice has visited and extracted all available information which has been input into the database ÔÇÿOld Age Pension Claims, Names and All Information Given and ExtractedÔÇÖ. The ÔÇÿGuide to the IndexÔÇÖ which accompanied the fiche will be revised, updated and become a ÔÇÿGuide to the Complete Transcription of: Ireland, Old Age Pension Claims 1908-22ÔÇÖ.

Janice stated: ÔÇ£Of the 37 Volumes, I am on the second last volume, or in other words, of the
24 microfilms, I am on the second last microfilmÔÇØ. Some films are hard to read and this may produce some transcription errors but researchers using my ÔÇÿOld Age Pension Claims ExtractsÔÇÖ will be able to call up the film in LDS libraries throughout the world, and recheck the original source material on microfilm. Due to tight binding and sewing of Claim Forms, some written data was not captured during filming. Janice extracted this concealed data during research visits to Ireland in both PRONI and the National Archives of Ireland.

The total number of pages of Claim Forms is 11,101 which has generated approx. 117,483
records of persons throughout Ireland. Oral data supplied by the claimant, the Old Age Pension Claim Form and Extracts from the 1841 and 1851 Census data forms (the original Census Forms were destroyed in 1922 in the Four Courts fire in the Public Record Office of Ireland (PROI)) have been the major sources of information used to generate this database.

The claimant often supplied the maiden name of his/her mother, and females often their own married name. Census search officerÔÇÖs remarks often gave parents marriage date, childrensÔÇÖ ages, etc. The database shows all names mentioned in a claim linked to the residence(s) given for that claim. It is quite likely that the married surname of a female claimant and the maiden surname for a claimantÔÇÖs mother may belong to a nearby place or other place named. When these extracts are published (probably on a DVD) additional inclusions therein will better describe information given by the claimant. I look forward to its publication and will keep newsletter readers informed. I propose to review the database as soon as it is released.

SHIPWRECK A Dalton Disaster

Contributed by Gerald Milner: I wonder if the following might be of interest to your readers?

Letter from Charles Dalton to Silas Dixon (sic) 10 September 1874

Graves end September the 10=1874

Dear Silas I send you these few lines to let you now that we are all well hoping these few
lines will find you and famley all well thank god for all his goodness to us we have got this length on our way we will sail right of this night we do not rue this as yet we are getting the best of treatment good beads and plenty of meat and all hands verey civil here we have got a great deal of friends here more than you wood think of the wood give us anything they do not now how to make mutch of us here there is over 500 on bord from all parts there is a great deal of fine children here all in good spirits I did not see one single teardrop here to we had a sermon from a minister before we sailed it was verey

Page 13

presing discorse we got from him he give us all books for the voyage we have every encoragement here for going to new zealand from this I hope all my Edward and margret is well also David and famley is all well and all my old neighbours is of well let them all now that i was thinking about them all I suppose Robert Green has got no missis yet i might here of him doing something yet the nerer looked at our boxes nor aney thing we had they are using us well here I have rote this on the bullworks of the ship. Ellenor is in first rate health she is captain of her mess that is 8 people everey 8 is in one mess the single feamels is by themselves & single men also we have got good beads at night to lyin let all my old neighbours now that I am getting on well so far thank god for all his goodness to us all the captain is a fine big scotch man and nearly all the sailors scotch to all frindley men I have little more to say at present but we remain your sincere friends I hope you will enjoy good health to i rite to you from Auckland let Thomas Jane Isiah now how we are getting along so no more from Charles Dalton Ellen & Ellenor you might rite to me in 2 monthes you will get the address from Thomas

Envelope addressed to:
Mr Silas Dixon
Englishtown
Maze by Lisburn
County Antrim
Ireland

Postmarked: GRAVESEND B SP 10 74 HIGH ST

On back of envelope: LISBURN A SE 12 74

Above is the transcript of a letter written by Charles DALTON to a kinsman, Silas Dixon(sic) in Antrim, Northern Ireland on 10th September 1874, on board a ship in Gravesend, Kent, due to sail for Auckland, New Zealand. After making fruitless enquiries in connection with my family history research, I sent an e-mail to the Auckland City Library, from whom I received a response with the following information.

The ship was called the "Cospatrick", a teak built sailing ship, of 1200 tons, constructed at Moulmein in India and classed A1 at Lloyds, measuring 190 feet in length, 34 feet in breadth, and with 23 feet of hold. The owners at the time were the Shaw Savill Line of 34 Leadenhall Street, London. The ship had formerly been used for the transport of troops to and from India, and had once before taken a large party of emigrants from England to New Zealand. The ship was under the command of Captain Elmslie, who had been the chief officer for several years. The ship left Gravesend on 11th September 1874, with a complement of 429 emigrants, four 'independent passengers' and crew of 43.

At about half past midnight on November 17th, a fire broke out on board, supposedly in the
boatswain's locker, which contained ropes and oakum, cotton waste, tar, paint and oils. There was also some kerosene oil and barrels of fat. The vessel was in Latitude 37 degrees South and Longtitude 12 degrees East, in the South Atlantic several hundred miles to the south west of the Cape of Good Hope. As soon as the alarm was sounded the Captain was on deck and all hands attempted to get the ship before the wind, but without success. The flames came up the fore hatch within a quarter of an hour, spreading quickly along the deck. The flames and smoke were driven aft, setting fire to the boats which were in the fore part of the vessel, thus preventing their use. In the ensuing excitement the passengers rushed to the quarter boats hanging on davits over the side, crowding into them. About eighty people got into the starboard boat; the boat dipped into the sea and then capsized. All the occupants were drowned. Just afterwards the fore, main and mizzen masts all fell,

Page 14

killing many of the emigrants and adding to the terror of the rest. Suddenly the stern blew out, completing the destruction of the ship. Meanwhile , two boats had been filled and moved away from the disaster. When the last moment had come, Captain Elmslie threw his wife overboard and jumped into the sea after her. The ship's doctor, Dr Cadle, also jumped into the sea with the Captain's little boy. All were drowned.

The two boats kept together for a couple of days, but then separated in bad weather. The boat under the command of Mr Romaine, chief mate, was not seen again. The other boat, with the second mate, Mr Macdonald, was soon in trouble due to the effects of thirst. They had no food, no fresh water, no mast or sail, only an oar. One man fell overboard whilst steering: three others died "after becoming mad". On November 23rd four more died. The survivors were by then suffering so intensely from hunger and thirst that they drank the blood and ate the livers of two of their dead comrades. Other deaths followed, and on 27th November two more men died; another was thrown overboard. Ultimately there were only five men alive, two of whom had "gone mad". The ship 'British Sceptre' (under the command of Captain Jahnke) rescued the five, but two died soon after; one of whom was a sailor named Robert Hamilton. Mr Charles Henry Macdonald (of Montrose), the Quartermaster, Thomas Lewis (of Anglesey) and Ordinary Seaman, James Cotter (from the training ship 'Chichester') were 'most kindly treated on board'. They were landed on December 6th at St Helena, from where they were taken to Southampton via Madeira on the 'Nyanza'. Later, the three survivors gave evidence in London to the Agent General for New Zealand, and at an official Inquest at the Custom House by the Receiver of Wrecks for the Port of London.

The story ends with the news that the Lord Mayor of London requested gifts of money to be presented to the Mansion House in aid of dependent relatives of those who perished.

The Illustrated London News ran three articles about the disaster, from which the foregoing has been gleaned. These can be seen at
http://www.theshipslist.com/accountscospatrick.html

The Passenger List can be reached at the following links:

http://www.freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~ourstuff/Cospatrick.htm
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/

No wonder I could not trace this little group of Daltons. The reason I have offered this for publication in The Newsletter is to enable other genealogists involved in family history research to check the Passenger List, as there are a considerable number of other people from Ireland.

Gerald Milner. (Thanks Gerald, your contribution is appreciated and IÔÇÖm sure will lead to the
discovery of ÔÇÿmissingÔÇÖ emigrants who left Ireland on this ship. Congratulations on your detailed research) [Editor Terry Eakin].

THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES OF IRELAND: The Journal of the Royal Society of
Antiquaries of Ireland, formerly The Royal Historical and Archaeological Association of
Ireland founded in 1849 as the Kilkenny Archaeological Society (1900), Dublin, 6 St StephenÔÇÖs Green. This issue has a listing of the executive, Hon. Local Secretaries, Fellows and Members and this listing is extracted from the 1900 issue, Volume X in the fifth series, aka Volume XXX in the consecutive series.

A listing of Fellows and Members with a list of Officers for the year 1900.

Robert Cochrane, F.S.A., M.R.I.A. Hon. General Secretary
William C. Stubbs, M.A. Hon. Treasurer
Council for 1900:
Count Plunkett, M.R.I.A. Fellow
Thomas J. Westropp, M.A., M.R.I.A. Fellow

Page 15

George Coffey, B.A.I., M.R.I.A. Fellow
William Grove White, LL.B. Member
John Cooke, M.A. Fellow
Francis Elrington Ball, M.R.I.A. Fellow
Henry F. Berry, M.A.; M.R.I.A. Fellow
Geo. D. Burtchaell, M.A.; M.R.I.A. Fellow
Frederick Franklin, F.R.I.A.I. Member
Colonel Vigors, J.P. Fellow
Patrick Weston Joyce, LL.D. Member
James Mills, M.R.I.A. Fellow

Miss S. Moore Clerk

Thomas J. Westropp, M.A.; M.R.I.A. Hon. Curator and Librarian, Dublin

Richard Langrishe, F.R.I.A.I. Hon. Curator, Kilkenny

S. A. O. Fitzpatrick Auditor
John Cooke, M.A. Auditor
Robert Cochrane, F.S.A. Trustee
Ed. Perceval Wright, M.D. Trustee
Thomas J. Westropp, M.A., M.R.I.A. Hon. Provincial Secretaries, Leinster, (Dublin)
The Rev. Canon ffrench, M.R.I.A. Hon. Provincial Secretaries, Leinster, (Clonegall)
Seaton F. Milligan, M.R.I.A. Hon. Provincial Secretaries, Ulster, (Belfast)
(The Rev. Canon Lett, M.A., M.R.I.A. Hon. Provincial Secretaries, Ulster, (Loughbrickland)
P. J. Lynch, C.E., M.R.I.A.I. Hon. Provincial Secretaries, Munster (Limerick) Architect
The Rev. Canon C. Moore, M.A. Hon. Provincial Secretaries, Munster (Mitchelstown)
The Rev. C. Lawrence, M.A. Hon. Provincial Secretaries, Connaught (Lawrencetown, Co.
Galway)
Edward Martyn, Tillyra Castle Hon. Provincial Secretaries, Ardrahan

Hon. Local Secretaries:
Antrim, Middle W. A. Traill, M.A.
Antrim North The Rev. S. A. Brenan, M.A.
Antrim, South W. J. Knowles, M.R.I.A.
Armagh Robert Gray, F.R.C.P.I.; J.P.
Athlone John Burgess, J.P.
Belfast City R. M. Young, J.P., B.A., M.R.I.A.
Carlow Colonel P. D. Vigors, J.P.
Cavan vacant
Clare, South James Frost, J.P., M.R.I.A.
Clare, North Dr. George U. Macnamara
Cork, South The OÔÇÖDonovan, M.A., J.P., D.L.
Cork, West The Rev. Patrick Hurley, P.P.
Cork City W. H. Hill, F.R.I.B.A.
Donegal The Very Rev. Dean Baillie, M.A.
Down, North W. H. Patterson, M.R.I.A.
Down, South Samuel Kerr Kirker., C.E.
Dublin William C. Stubbs, M.A.; Barrister-at-Law
Dublin City John Cooke, M.A.
Fermanagh Thomas Plunkett, M.R.I.A
Galway, North Richard J. Kelly
Galway South Very Rev. J. Fahey, P.P., V. G.
Galway Town James Perry, C.E.
Kerry The Rev. Denis OÔÇÖDonoghue, P.P., M.R.I.A.
Kildare, South Lord Walter Fitz Gerald, M.R.I.A., J.P.
Kildare North The Rev. Edward OÔÇÖLeary, P.P.

Articles, suggestions and information for this newsletter are welcome and may be E-mailed to: tea04055@bigpond.net.au or posted to Terry Eakin, 334 Burns Bay Road, Lane Cove NSW AUSTRALIA 2066

Page 16

Return to “ÔÇÿALL IRELAND SOURCESÔÇÖ NEWSLETTER”