JAMES & MARTHA LOWRY - Ballyteagh, Dunaghy

For anybody that is searching for family links in the area covered by Ballymena area.

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

ravald133
Oak Twig

JAMES & MARTHA LOWRY - Ballyteagh, Dunaghy

Post by ravald133 » 30 Jul 2009, 14:22

I would love to get in touch with anyone who's ancesters are JAMES LOWRY and his wife MARTHA LOWRY Ballyreagh, Dunaghy, Co. Tyrone

Correction by the ADMINISTRATOR:-

The name "Ballyteagh" is not a Townland in Ireland.
The name " Ballyreigh" is not a Townland in Ireland.

The name " Ballyreagh" is a Townland in Co. Tyrone,Ireland but is part of the Civil Parish of "Derryloran" and not "Dunaghy".

There is NO Civil Parish called "Dunaghy" in Co. Tyrone.
There is only one Civil Parish called "Dunaghy" in Ireland and is in Co. Antrim.

Townland AKA Acres County Barony Civil Parish PLU Province
Ballyreagh 237 Tyrone Dungannon Upper Derryloran Cookstown Ulster

Please check your information otherwise it will be difficult to help you. I have no connections with the families you are researching but do know the 1851 Geography of Ireland.

allanz
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Re: JAMES & MARTHA LOWRY - Ballyteagh, Dunaghy, County Tyron

Post by allanz » 13 Apr 2011, 01:51

Hi there, just found your post. I believe James Lowery and Martha (White) Lowery are my gg grandparents. Recently (like a few weeks ago) we discovered a letter from Ballyreagh written in 1879 from a White family member to Charles Lowery who was my grandfathers father, and who emigrated to NZ about that time. The address at the beginning of the letter was "Ballyreagh" with "Plough" on the next line
My aunt did extensive research and even went to Ireland some years ago but went to Ballymena and had no luck there...so everything has been on hold for a number of years

Anyway recently a box of letters was found. My uncle will try and get access to them and we will start preserving them. They are all from that era, and mention the Lowery's who went to Lancaster, upstate NY as well as others.

Briefly we know that of James and Martha's family, the youngest girls ( Rosemary and Marguerite) stayed in Ireland (not sure where)
James, Nathaniel and Robert went to the US.
The others all must have come here ( a guess). My g grandfather was Charles who was a twin brother to one who died at birth.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Malcolm Allan
(my mum was a Lowery)

lawrence
Oak Twig

Post by lawrence » 24 Jun 2011, 00:53

My name is Joan Lawrence, Cromwell, Otago, New Zealand and I have been doing some research on my husband Tony's northern Irish family. Through other members of the family I have a very complete family tree of the descendants of James Lowery and Martha White. I also have their household as recorded in the 1851 Census for Ballyreigh, Dunaghy, County Antrim ( note not Tyrone) with all the family listed including my husband's great grandfather John Lowery aged 3 , brother to Charles Lowery, your great grandfather Allan. John Lowery married Mary White and their daughter Sarah Lowery was my husband's grandmother. Sarah married Alfred Lawrence and hence the Lawrence name.

James and Martha's oldest children James, Nathaniel and Robert emigrated to America and Rosemary and Marguerite remained in Ireland. Their son John Lowery married Mary White and arrive in NZ aged 27 yrs, died in 1935 and is buried in the Anderson's Bay Cemetery in Dunedin. Did all the other children come to New Zealand in particular Dunedin?

Tony and I would love to get in touch with the family and share information. The letter from Ballyreagh sounds interesting.
What I am having difficulty with is actually finding Ballyreagh. Is it now part of Ballymena?

1851 Census
Ballyreagh Townland, Dunaghy County Antrim (1851)
James Lowry, Head, M, 48, Farmer, County Antrim,
Martha Lowry, Wife, M, 45, None, County Antrim,
Margaret Lowry, Daughter, U, 18, Linen Weaver, County Antrim,
Elizabeth Lowry, Daughter, U, 14, Spool Winder, County Antrim,
Sarah Lowry, Daughter, U, 12, Linen Weaver, County Antrim,
Thomas Lowry, Son, U, 9, Spool Winder, County Antrim,
Alexander Lowry, Son, U, 7, None, County Antrim,
Charles Lowry, Son, U, 5, None, County Antrim,
John Lowry, Son, U, 3, None, County Antrim,

irishgen
Site Admin

Post by irishgen » 24 Jun 2011, 03:13

This is all the the Ballyreagh Townlands in Ireland.

Townland AKA Acres County Barony Civil Parish PLU Province
Ballyreagh 603 Antrim Kilconway Dunaghy Ballymena Ulster
Ballyreagh 370 Armagh Orior Lower Ballymore Newry Ulster
Ballyreagh 333 Down Ards Lower Newtownards Newtownards Ulster
Ballyreagh 137 Fermanagh Magherastephana Aghavea Lisnaskea Ulster
Ballyreagh 1,858 Fermanagh Tirkennedy Derrybrusk Enniskillen Ulster
Ballyreagh 190 Londonderry NE Liberties of Coleraine Ballywillin Coleraine Ulster
Ballyreagh 237 Tyrone Dungannon Upper Derryloran Cookstown Ulster
Ballyreagh 222 Wicklow Rathdown Powerscourt Rathdown Leinster

The name "Ballyteagh" is not a Townland in Ireland.
The name " Ballyreigh" is not a Townland in Ireland.
There is NO Civil Parish called "Dunaghy" in Co. Tyrone.
There is only one Civil Parish called "Dunaghy" in Ireland and is in Co. Antrim.

Please check your information otherwise it will be difficult to help you. I have no connections with the families you are researching but do know the 1851 Geography of Ireland.

lawrence
Oak Twig

Post by lawrence » 24 Jun 2011, 03:30

Thank you for the information. So if the Lowry family is listed in the 1851 Census as Ballyreagh Townland, Dunaghy, County Antrim - and this I copied from the website with the Census records remaining - where on earth were they living!

Joan

irishgen
Site Admin

Post by irishgen » 24 Jun 2011, 14:15

Hi Joan,

They must have been living at that moment in time 1851 in Ballyreagh Townland, Dunaghy, County Antrim.

I can move your query to the Ballymena section of this Forum or you could try posting there.

I assume your posting here has to do with the first posting of these messages and replies.

The original poster last logged-in in 2010.

greetings

L

lawrence
Oak Twig

Post by lawrence » 25 Jun 2011, 02:17

Thank you for your reply.
As the head of the household James Lowry was was stated as being a farmer, I guess they were living on a small holding near Ballymena. The male head of the White family who are related by marriage to the Lowrys are also recorded as being in Ballyreagh Townland, Dunaghy, County Antrim in the 1851 Census. The family story was that they had come from Ballymena. The Lowry children aged from 18 - 9 are listed as being linen weavers and spool winders. Was this done in local factories in Ballymena? Or was it piece work that people did in their homes?

Kind regards
Joan

irishgen
Site Admin

Post by irishgen » 25 Jun 2011, 04:36

HI Joan,

There were Linen Factories in Ballymena. A weaver could work at home or in a factory. A lot of weaving was done at home as winter work or at other times when there was little work on the land.
Some worked for other people for a fixed price but usually they made an amount/length of Linen and then sold at a market or Linen hall. Do not forget this was nearly always brown linen as most people did not have the facilities to bleach it.
A spool winders I think is a factory job as you would not employ your children to do something that they could do for free. My great-great-grandfather was a weaver in the Glens of Antrim.

I recommend transferring this to the Ballymena section.

greetings

L

allanz
Oak Twig

Post by allanz » 18 Jul 2011, 05:11

Thanks to this site and knowledgable input from the admin some of the many descendants of James and Martha are now in touch with each other.

Thanks to all, Malcolm

Return to “Ballymena”