robert Smith born Co. Antrim

For anybody that is searching for family links in the Co. Antrim. I have started separate forums

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

libby
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

robert Smith born Co. Antrim

Post by libby » 26 Feb 2013, 10:10

I am seeking the birth/baptism (Protestant) of Robert Smith, born 1812 in Co. Antrim, who moved to Scotland, where he appears in the 1841 census at 25 Canal St., Paisley High, Paisley, Renfrewshire. He married a Scot, Elizabeth Barr, and had three children. His middle child Robert later moved to Sunderland in NE England and changed the spelling of his surname to SMYTH, which is the form still used today.
He died at 5 Underwood Lane, Paisley Scotland on 24th March 1866 aged 54 years of 'Disease of the Heart 3 years'. His father was William Smyth, a grocer, who was deceased by 1866.
It seems the change of surname spelling occurred in Scotland, not in Sunderland as previously thought.
Last edited by libby on 12 Mar 2013, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

Elwyn
Trunk

Re: robert Smith born Co. Antrim

Post by Elwyn » 27 Feb 2013, 19:39

You need to try and find some information about where in Co Antrim Robert came from, from sources in Scotland. Otherwise itÔÇÖs a needle in a haystack. You also need to try and refine his religious denomination. Protestant includes Church of Ireland, Presbyterian, Methodist etc. You need to try and narrow that down if you can. Obituaries, wills, gravestones, military records, and Poor Law records are all possible sources for finding out where in Ireland Robert came from. Check all the censuses in case a specific place of birth is mentioned.

His birth was long before the start of statutory birth registration in Ireland (1864) so you will have to rely on parish records. Not all go back as far as 1812. If Robert died in Scotland, then you should obtain a copy of his death certificate as it should have his parentsÔÇÖ names on it. That will help.

libby
Oak Twig

Post by libby » 01 Mar 2013, 17:13

Thanks Elwyn for the advice. I do know the family were C of E in England, so I presume Church of Ireland.
I have checked the censuses and only one said Co Antrim, the others said Ireland.
Thanks for the death certificate tip. That hadn't occurred to me.
Thanks
frank

libby
Oak Twig

Post by libby » 08 Mar 2013, 17:40

I have had some research done in Scotland ostensibly to find his death. He appeared in 1861 census but not thereafter in censuses. A check to 1905 in the indexes found no death for him listed.
I wondered if he had perhaps moved to England, like his son Robert who moved to Sunderland. I have checked all the censuses after 1861 and the death indexes without finding any trace of him.
Could he perhaps have returned to Ireland? If so how could I find out about his whereabouts and his death?
I should be very grateful for any help.
Many thanks.

Return to “County Antrim”