CAMPBELL FAMILY

For anybody that is searching for family links in the Rest of Co. Antrim area. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

Chris Allman
Oak Twig
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 5

CAMPBELL FAMILY

Post by Chris Allman » 21 Mar 2006, 23:14

I would be very grateful for any information on an Ellen Campbell born approx 1875/76.

In 1910/11 she was in domestic service in Liverpool. She had a brother Thomas living in Dundalk and a sister, Elizabeth born 1871, with married name McCaughin living in Falmouth Township, Nova Scotia, Canada. She also had an Aunt living in New York.

Ellen travelled to Halifax and New York in 1911. Any information on her would be great.

Thank you

rowan.bradley
Oak Twig

Post by rowan.bradley » 19 Jan 2007, 19:19

You don't explain where Ellen Campbell was born or lived, who her parents were or what she has to do with Co. Antrim.

I have Campbell ancestors who I have traced back to Magheragall near Lisburn in Co. Antrim. My Gt Gt Grandfather William Mussen Campbell was born there in 1810 or 1811. I believe his father was James Campbell, a farmer, but that's as much as I know. There may have been connections with Glenavy a few miles to the west too.

I have no record of an Ellen. If you can see any connections with my information, please let me know.

Rowan

Dixie

Campbell family

Post by Dixie » 20 Jan 2007, 19:31

Hi Chris.
Have 2 Ellen Campbells on my computer around that date.
No. 1. Ellen Campbell, born 8 Sept 1873, Errisnabbey ???, Broughshane, Co Antrim.
Parents, Samuel Campbell, farmer, and Margaret McVern.
2 other children to these parents.
John, born 26 Jan 1875, same place.
Samuel, born 18 Jan 1877, same place.

No. 2. Ellen Campbell, born 27 Aug 1877, Gortaherrian, Portglenone, Co Antrim.
Parents, Thomas Campbell, farmer, and Bridget Hardy.
3 other children to these parents.
Margaret, born 27 Jan 1868, Ballylummin ?, Parish of Ahoghill, Co Antrim.
"female" Campbell, born 4 March 1873, Ballylinnin, Ahoghill, Co Antrm.
Robert, born 3 March 1875, Ballylinnin, Ahoghill, Co Antrim.
Hope one of these clicks for you.
Dixie

rowan.bradley
Oak Twig

Post by rowan.bradley » 22 Jan 2007, 01:11

Dixie,

Sounds like you have a good database of Campbells in Co. Antrim. Does this go back to the early 1800s or late 1700s? Does it have any of the people mentioned in my post a couple of days ago in this thread?

In particular I'm looking for a link between the Mussens and the Campbells (most likely a marriage, I guess), which would have had to be before 1810 (because that's when William Mussen Campbell, the first Campbell that I know of with the middle name Mussen, was born).

Thanks - Rowan

Dixie

Mussens

Post by Dixie » 22 Jan 2007, 15:44

Hi Rowan.
The Campbells / Carsons are my wifes connection and her research has centred around the Kells and Coonor area near Ballymena.
Perhaps this Mussen marriage may be of use to you. Robert McCune would be my mother's uncle.
Marriage in Holy Trinity, C.o.I., Parish of Drumbo, Co Down, by licence by Fredrick Hatch.
Date of marriage, 13 September 1934.
Robert McCune, age 29, a bachelor, a labourer, resided 95 Tate's Ave., Belfast.
Father, Robert McCune, a motorman. (He was a tram-driver for Belfast Corporation).
Rosena Mussen, age 22, spinster, a weaver, resided c/o Mrs Matthews, Ballylesson.
Father, John Cairns Mussen, spirit merchant.
Witnesses, Mark ?? Burgess and M. Mussen.

Possible Rosena is from your Mussen connection as an aunt told me she came from Lisburn.
I will have a look at what is on computer for Campbell in the Lisburn area.
Regards,
Dixie

rowan.bradley
Oak Twig

Post by rowan.bradley » 23 Jan 2007, 00:03

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid there are an awful lot of Mussens in the Lisburn area. I understand that Mussen is a Huguenot name, and there was a Huguenot colony in Lisburn which emigrated from France (or maybe Belgium or thereabouts) in the 17th Century. The story is that my Campbell ancestors came to Antrim from Scotland (possibly from Craignish - though this is really just a family legend, with no real evidence that I know of). So just finding Mussens doesn't help me much - I need to find a marriage or other close connection between a Mussen and a Campbell. Mussen was (and still is) widely used as a middle name in the family, and it must have come from somewhere...

If you find anything else that might help me, I'd be very keen to hear it.

Many thanks - Rowan

Chris Allman
Oak Twig

Ellen Campbell

Post by Chris Allman » 27 Mar 2007, 20:32

Hi Rowan,

Thank you for your post, I am afraid that, I dont know where Ellen came from or where she lived except that it was County Antrim or County North as she stated this on a passenger manifest. I need to know her date of birth and her parents names etc.

I have since found out that she was born around 1880 not 1875/6 as first thought. I know when she died and where she is buried but I dont know when she was born, where and her parents names. I know she had a sister Elizabeth, and possibly two brothers a Thomas and a John.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful and that I did not reply sooner but I have been involved in family matters.

Kind regards

Chris.
Last edited by Chris Allman on 27 Mar 2007, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Allman
Oak Twig

Ellen Campbell

Post by Chris Allman » 27 Mar 2007, 20:36

Hi Dixie,

Thank you for your info and help and information. I have since found out that Ellen was born around 1880 and not 1875/6 as first thought. I know when she died and where she is buried but I dont know when she was born, where and her parents names. I know she had a sister Elizabeth, and possibly two brothers a Thomas and a John.

On a passenger manifests she stated she was born in County Antrim and also said County North.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful and that I did not reply sooner but I have been involved in family matters.

Kind regards

Chris.

Gillian Mather
Oak Twig

Campbell Family

Post by Gillian Mather » 15 Apr 2007, 23:17

I have a Ellen Campbell born 27 Jan 1866 registered Ahoghill in my family.She is my great great grandfather's youngest daughter and my great grandfather's half sister.
Her parents were Thomas Campbell and Bridget Hardy of Ballylummin Co Antrim and their other children were Margaret born 15 Aug 1866,Elizabeth born 12 April 1869, Thomas born 16 Nov 1871 and Robert born 3 March 1875.
I would appreciate any information you have on these people.

Kind Regards ...Gillian

Gillian Mather
Oak Twig

Ellen Campbell

Post by Gillian Mather » 16 Apr 2007, 00:29

I made a mistake with Ellen's DOB, it should be 27 Jan 1877, not 1866.

Kind Regards..Gillian

Chris Allman
Oak Twig

Ellen Campbell

Post by Chris Allman » 16 Apr 2007, 22:22

Hi Gillian,

Thanks for your post. I actually have a record of your Ellen which I found in Irish records, I am sure that these are not the people I am looking for, as the years of birth dont tally with their known ages.

Ellen we are pretty sure was born in 1880. She also had a brother John. She unfortunately died in Nova Scotia in 1913 at the home of her sister Elizabeth. She never married

Thank you for posting I am very grateful for your trouble. Good luck with your research, I am sorry I cant help you too.

Kind regards

Chris.

Return to “The Rest of Co. Antrim”