Patton, Gault

For anybody that is searching for family links in the Co. Down. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderators: admi, larneman

Gord Patton
Oak Twig

Patton, Gault

Post by Gord Patton »

I am in the middle of research on the Patton and Gault families that were from Belfast, Bangor, Newtownards,and surrounding areas. Here is what I know. My Grandfather John Patton was the youngets of 10 children born in Bangor and Belfast. Father was Thomas Patton, and mother was Esther Callender. The children were Florence.b/1889, d/1902; Thomas, b/1892, d/1894;Winifred, b/1893 (married a Samuel Lyttle Downey in Fortwilliam Pesbyterian Church in 1914); Esther, b/1895,(married a William Moore in 1919 at Fisherwick Presbyterian); Isobel Clotsworthy,b/1896; Agnes Vincent, b/1898 (married an Edgar McCutcheon); Elizabeth, b/1900; William Callender Patton, b/1902, Vincent Patton,b/1904; and John Patton, b/1905. Father Thomas Patton and wife Esther were in the land and estate agency business, and the business was eventually left to the sons William and Vincent. Thomas died in 1912, and Esther died in 1940 while living Whitebbey. I am aware that both William and Vincent were alive in 1941 when the mothers will was probated. The business was located on 100 High street in Belfast, and Vincent Patton lived on 9 Shandon Drive in Bangor. One daughter Agnes Vincent was willed one of the homes on Groomsport Road in Bangor. And Esther Moore contested her mothers will unsuccessfully at the time of probate. So I am certain that at least Esther, Agnes Vincent, William Callender, and Vincent were alive in 1941. My Grandfather John was living in Canada at the time. I was in Belfast in September and found the gravesite of father Thomas, wife Esther, and the two children who died in childhood. This grave is in Belfast City Cemetery. It appears that someone may visit occasionally as there was some decorative stone at the site. The dillema is I cannot find any records or information on any of the remaining siblings after 1941. No death records, no idea if any children resulted from any of the known marriages, no information at all on either William or Vincent. My Grandfather died at a relatively young age and did not pass on any information to my father. I am desperately trying to complete some family history on this side and would welcome any information on this family. Thanks

Return to “County Down”