Ballymaghan birth Samuel Hunt Hennessey 31 January 1894

For anybody that is searching for family links in the Co. Down. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

Jasonpearson1967
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Ballymaghan birth Samuel Hunt Hennessey 31 January 1894

Post by Jasonpearson1967 » 03 Sep 2009, 14:14

I have a certificate of birth issued by the registrar in 1928 for this birth in 1894 this is a hard piece of paper with stamps etc so I think the info (spelling aside) is accurate

It gives his DOB 31 January 1894, Full name as Samuel Hunt Hennessey, his parents as Samuel Hennessey and Sarah Carby and birth place as Ballymaghan which is also Ballymachan I understand

Would the original records from 1894 yield additional information beyond these facts?

I had hoped to find the marriage record for Sam and Sarah and through that trace back to their birth records. I know Sam had other family

So my query is it worth persuing the original birth certificate and paying for a copy of it because it has more information than I already know.

If its worth purchasing a copy of the original is that done through the local office in Holywood or is it done from Proni?

Thanks

irishgen
Site Admin

Re: Ballymaghan birth Samuel Hunt Hennessey 31 January 1894

Post by irishgen » 03 Sep 2009, 16:37

Hi there,
I know of 2 birth certificates in N.Ireland. The "Short one" which is a small A5 size and contains the name, sex and date of birth plus registrars stamp and signature. Nice item for framing.

The one most needed is the "Full" certificate. This contains:-

Full name of the baby.
Sex and date of birth of the baby.
District and place of birth of the baby.
Full names and dates of birth of the parents, and (full) addresses and occupations of the parents.

Not knowing exactly what is on the card I do not know if the Full certificate will supply more.

Does the card have the words Birth Certificate and would a version of the Short certificate or is it perhaps an Infant Registration Card HS123.

The PRONI has only microfilms of birth records which contain all the information found on a Full certificate. It does not supply Certificates.

For Certificates visit http://www.groni.gov.uk/index/births.htm

greetings

L

irishgen
Site Admin

Post by irishgen » 03 Sep 2009, 16:43

Hello there,

I have looked at your query. I did a quick check of http://www.emeraldancestors.com and found nothing.

The surname Hennessey has a couple of common variations, Henessy, Henesy and Henissy. The name Carby is probably from Carbry, Carbery and both stem from Carberry. While none of this is useful you should check all variations in your search.

This is based on Matheson work on birth index recorded in the 1890. There were 3 Hennessey births recorded in Ulster and 74 in Munster in 1890.

The marriage and birth records for Ireland go back 1864 so you should be able to find them but do not stare blinded by Co. Down as people did move a lot and Holywood was just outside Belfast, which attracted a lot of workers in the 1890's.

My own family tree starts in 1860's in Carrivemurphy. The births took place in the grandfather's house while the family lived in Larne about 20 odd miles away.

Visit your local Mormon centre they have most of the Irish records on microfilm. Irish censuses are of no use to you as well as the majority of census substitutes.

Hope this helps a little,

greetings

L

Jasonpearson1967
Oak Twig

Post by Jasonpearson1967 » 03 Sep 2009, 16:57

Of course the day I dont have it with me!

If memory serves its was a "True copy of entry 355 in register book of the register bof births in my office'

It was signed by an S Dunlop Superintendent 51 Lisburn Rd 15th day of August 1928 District of Belfast I think the book they speak of is district of Castle Reigh

What info is contained is Name of Parents (no dates of birth) his date of birth

This document appears simply to be a certified copy of an entry in the book of registered births.

Its also on manila paper and long and narrow half about 4 high and maybe 11" long if that helps

If this doesn't answer the question as to what kind of document it is I am more than happy to scan and email the file in JPEG to the site

Thanks

Jasonpearson1967
Oak Twig

Post by Jasonpearson1967 » 03 Sep 2009, 17:27

I did a quick search on family search .org and found a record that ties in with what I already know for dates etc January 31, 1984 the only discrepancy with the document I have issued in 1928 states it was entry 355 in the register of births which maybe the Castle Reigh entry

Name: Samuel Hennessy
Registration district: Belfast
Record type: BIRTHS
Registration date - quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1894
Estimated birth year:
Film number: 101065
Volume: 1
Page: 406
Digital GS number: 4193979
Image number: 00040
Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958

irishgen
Site Admin

Post by irishgen » 04 Sep 2009, 03:09

I think your certificate is a so-called "Short".

In N. Ireland you would use it, to prove your age on the bus or Post Office etc., get into school and such things. I needed the "Full" on a couple of occasions in England and the Netherlands, never ever got it back but still have my "Short" copy, issued in 1950.

I think it might be worth your while to obtain a "Full" one or to get access to the microfilms and view the original records.

Sucess

Jasonpearson1967
Oak Twig

Post by Jasonpearson1967 » 04 Sep 2009, 15:35

I agree I want to get a copy of the full certificate

Where is the best place to buy a copy ? Should I contact the office in Belfast on the document I have Castleregh Number 2, Belfast, Down.

If I knew which department I should contact I could email them a jpeg of the file I have and tell them I want the full certificate which includes the dob of parents etc???

THanks

irishgen
Site Admin

Post by irishgen » 04 Sep 2009, 19:15

Have you tried this email address http://www.groni.gov.uk/index/births.htm

I do not know which which office you could use.

I always got mine in Belfast but that was many years ago.

greetings

L

Return to “County Down”