brownlee family from co. armagh

For anybody that is searching for family links in the Co. Armagh. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

ginger
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

brownlee family from co. armagh

Post by ginger » 07 Jul 2011, 10:35

Hi, Trying to find out about my G G Grandfather who was married in 1856 in church of Ireland drumcree his wife was called mary hobbs she was his second wife, I know they had a son called John who was my G Grandfather, who left Ireland went to Scotland to marry, then came back to Ireland, would like to find out more about my GG Grandfather whose name was Thomas Brownlee, anyone have any ideas how to find out more about my ancesrtys as I am trying to do family tree. ginger

Elwyn
Trunk
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Re: brownlee family from co. armagh

Post by Elwyn » 14 Aug 2011, 10:03

I would start by ordering a copy of the 1856 marriage certificate. The marriage was registered in Lurgan 1856 Volume 5, page 525. You can get a photocopy of that cert from GRO Roscommon for Ôé¼4, provided you quote the place, year, Volume and page number on the order form. www.groireland.ie/

The certificate should give you your ancestorÔÇÖs townland (address) as well as his fatherÔÇÖs name and occupation. You may be able to use that to locate relevant wills on the PRONI website, and perhaps also locate the family on Griffiths Valuation. You may also want to search the parish records for siblings and children. Bear in mind that the tradition was to marry in the wifeÔÇÖs church so if the couple came from different parishes or different denominations, the church where they married might not be the husbandÔÇÖs own church. But it could be. Details of the surviving parish records are on the PRONI website:

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_ ... ndexes.htm

Return to “County Armagh”