O'Neill, Patrick (b. Mar 1862, Ireland) or Donohue, Rose A.

Information that concern the whole of Ireland

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

jdelauche
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

O'Neill, Patrick (b. Mar 1862, Ireland) or Donohue, Rose A.

Post by jdelauche » 05 Apr 2010, 21:02

Hello ÔÇô

I am researching family lines for my significant other. Unfortunately, we do not have any idea from where in Ireland either of these people came. So far, I have this information:

Patrick O'Neill (b. Mar 1862, Ireland; d. 30 Oct 1919, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA)
* Immigrated to USA from Ireland: 1880 [Probably arriving on the ship Olympus, out of Queenstown, Ireland (now Cobh, County Cork, Eire) in New York 7 Oct 1880; Bridget O'Neill, age 19, female listed right after Patrick - sister? wife?]
* 1884 (or about 1884) married Rose A. Donohue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Rose A. Donohue (b. May 1863, Ireland; d. 20 Mar 1915, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA)
* Immigrated to USA from Ireland: 1881 [Age 19; May have arrived Port of New York 27 Sep 1880 aboard ship City of Richmond out of Queenstown (now Cobh), Ireland; Name listed below Rose's on City of Richmond passenger list: Ellen Donohue, age 14, Rose's sister?}
OR
* Immigrated to USA from Ireland 16 Jun 1884
Both buried at New Cathedral Cemetery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

Children ÔÇô all born at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA:
* Felix Francis O'Neill (b. 29 Oct 1884; d. ?, probably Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), Occupation: Molder/Moulder, Philadelphia Navy Ship Yard
* William O'Neill, (b. Dec. 1885; d. ?), Occupation: Machinist, Philadelphia ship yard
* Thomas O'Neill (b. abt 1887; d. 2 Aug1899, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; buried: New Cathedral Cemetery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
* Mary Ann O'Neill (b. Jul 1889; d. 19 Dec 1889, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; buried: New Cathedral Cemetery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
* John O'Neill (b. 25 Oct 1891; d. ?), Occupation in 1917: Coremaker, Cramp Ship Building Company, Philadelphia Shipyard
* Francis Patrick O'Neill (b. 12 Jan 1891; d. Nov 1971, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania); Occupations: 1920, Pipefitter, ship yard; 1930 until retirement, Hat Finisher in a hat factory, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
* Rose R. O'Neill (b. 14 Oct 1894; d. 1 Nov 1911; buried: New Cathedral Cemetery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
* Mary A. O'Neill (b. 18 Jun 1896; d. ?)
* Joseph Aloysius O'Neill (b. 16 May 1898; d. ?), Occupation in 1930: Automobile Mechanic, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
* Sarah O'Neill (b. abt 1902; d. 1 Nov 1918, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; buried: New Cathedral Cemetery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
* Theresa O'Neill (b. abt 1904; d. ?); Jan 1920, both parents deceased, boarding and living with Mack family, in-laws of older brother Joseph Aloysius, brother Joseph, his wife Alvina, other relatives of Alvina's family; Occupation 1920: Clerk in an office, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I have more information on this family in the USA. I am most interested in learning from where in Ireland Patrick O'Neill and/or his wife Rose A. Donohue came.

Any tips or information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

-- Jean, Missouri, USA

Elwyn
Trunk

Re: O'Neill, Patrick (b. Mar 1862, Ireland) or Donohue, Rose

Post by Elwyn » 01 Nov 2010, 17:26

Jean,

Statutory records of birth, death & marriage records started in Ireland in 1864 (1845 for Protestant and Non-Conformist marriages). Prior to that you are heavily dependant on church records, where they exist. In general, there are few records prior to 1800.

Ideally, to trace an ancestor in Ireland through church records you need to know their religion, townland and parish. To find that information if the person died overseas, the usual sources are naturalisation records, gravestones, family bibles, wills and obituaries.

Some Irish BDM records are searchable on line on the LDS pilot site, but some records are still held by the individual church (some declined to allow their records to be copied) and so this website is not the complete picture:

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/rec ... ctions&r=1

For Northern Ireland, the Public Record Office (PRONI) has copies of many of the parish registers, and has a list of those held elsewhere. www.proni.gov.uk/
The records themselves are not on line and you need to search them in person. PRONI is temporarily closed until April 2011 but there are temporary arrangements to view this data at Cregagh Library, Belfast. See PRONI website for details.

For the Republic of Ireland the equivalent records are held by the National Library http://www.nli.ie/

So your only real chance of finding out where in Ireland they came from is if you can narrow the search from information in the US. Otherwise it's a needle in a haystack. The names are too widespread across Ireland.

Elwyn

jdelauche
Oak Twig

Re: O'Neill, Patrick (b. Mar 1862, Ireland) or Donohue, Rose

Post by jdelauche » 01 Nov 2010, 17:56

Thank you for your tips, Elwyn.

I agree with you that the search is/will be like looking or a needle in a haystack. I'm pretty sure the family was Catholic in Ireland. I know in the USA they were/are. However, there is no family lore that I know of (yet - [written with hope]) about where the O'Neills or Donohues hailed from in Ireland. Since both probably sailed out of Queenstown (now Cobh) in Cork, I suspect they came from either Cork or another nearby county. Maybe the families even knew each other in Ireland.

Given the traditional Irish naming practice for progeny, I suspect the given name for either the father of Patrick O'Neill or Rose Donohue was Felix or William and the given name of one of the mothers was Mary or or Rose. (All I can say is that the naming tradition can be helpful if the given name is a bit more unusual, like "Felix." Otherwise there are "a mickle o' " Patricks, Williams, Marys, Roses, etc. all with the same surnames.) Sigh . . .

Actually, I'm just hoping over time, some other connection will be found through another person researching this line, either in the USA, Ireland, or even the U.K. and this "brick wall" will have a chink knocked out. Of course, a trip to Eire for research would be fine, indeed! I'll have to wait for a change (for the better) in the global economy and my personal fortunes to do that.

Ah well, it's all about having patience, isn't it? :-)

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Just biding my time . . .
Jean E. DeLauche, Missouri

Return to “All of Ireland”