Pellar's Dye Works, Belfast

For anybody that is searching for family links in the N. Ireland area outside Co. Antrim. If need be I will start separate area forums

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » 13 Apr 2004, 00:18

Can anyone give me information on this company? I have a photo in which my great grandfather, Peter Milligan is shown with several other elderly men. I believe the photo dates to around 1895-1905. The men are seated in front of the building on which are the words "Pellars Dye Works". They look like the board of directors. I want to discover what Peter's position was in this company, and when. He had another business of his own, manufacturing rope and twine, with an office or possibly a store in Queens Square, Belfast for many years (1860? - 1900?)

Christopher

Post by Christopher » 29 Jul 2007, 19:05

Hello Dorothy,

I'll have a look at directories in the Central Library tomorrow to see if I can find Pellar's Dye Works. Are you sure it was not Pullar & Sons, dyers and cleaners who had a place at 22 Victoria Street as well as branches. They are listed in the 1880 Directory of Belfast and Province of Ulster which is on the Lennon Wylie website. In the 1960 directory they are show as Pullars, Dyers, Perth, 14, Donegall Square North.

J. Pullar commenced trading at BurtÔÇÖs Close, 129 High Street or 19 Mill Street, Perth in 1824 ... he also advertised his business in the Perth Courier. http://www.perthshirediary.com/html/day0919.html

Christopher

Return to “N.Ireland”