Lawrence Cuddy (1811 - 1848) -Help required!!

For anybody that is searching for family links in the Republic of Ireland.

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

PabloC
Oak Twig

Lawrence Cuddy (1811 - 1848) -Help required!!

Post by PabloC » 29 Aug 2007, 19:09

Hi All..and thanks for accepting my request for membership to this group! :D

First post here, so hope this is the correct place to post this!!

Forgive me if this is a little protracted...but I'm trying to include everything I can think of!!

I'm trying to obtain further information on my Great, great, great grandfather Lawrence Cuddy (1811 - 1848, born in Ireland according to 1841 England Census) who was a Shipwright by trade, and hopefully, if possible, progress further back.

From what I can gather, he came over to Liverpool from Ireland at some point between his birth in 1811, and the birth of his first child Michael who was born in Manchester, in about 1833 with his English wife Elizabeth (nee Cox). Elizabeth was born in Whichurch, Shropshire roughly between 1803 and 1808 (IGI entry states 1808, although this differs on successive Liverpool Census returns). She died in Liverpool in 1873.

With Lawrence having been a Shipwright, I'm naturally assuming he was from a coastal county of Ireland. Now, the 1841 England census lists Lawrence along with his family as residing at Vaughan Buildings, just off Dale Street in Liverpool. This is confirmed by his son's (My Great, great grandfather Henry's birth certificate from 1847 - just a year before Lawrence's death). In case it's of any use, Henry was a twin - this being Edward.

At the time of the 1841 Census, the family was as follows:

Lawerence Cuddy 30
Elizabeth Cuddy 30
Michal Cuddy 9
William Cuddy 7
Elizabeth Cuddy 3
Mary Cuddy 2

...and...Mary Christian (Transcribed as Christiana), who was Irish and 15 years old.

On the assumption that Mary Christian perhaps came over with the Cuddy family from Ireland, I ran a search on www.ireland.com/ancestor, entering both surnames Cuddy and Christian. The site searched for occurences of both names appearing in the same parish in relation to the Property Valuation of 1848-1864. The search returned two results...one for Cork, and one for Waterford. Although I notice that there are also entries for the Cuddy surname in Antrim, and the Shankill area of Dublin too.

I'm led to believe that Waterford had a fairly prominent shipbuilding history from 1820 onwards, so, I was wondering whether that may be of any significance?

This information is all I have on this line of my family tree. It's probably a long-shot, but it's all I have to go on!!!! As such, any help, however small, would be greatly appreciated, as I appear to be rapidly running out of leads!!!

Regards

Paul

irishgen
Site Admin
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Welcome to the Forum.

Post by irishgen » 29 Aug 2007, 19:33

Welcome to the Forum.

You can never supply enough information when searching for family twigs and branches.

2 points I would like to make that would make life easier for yourself and anybody else that has posted or intends to post.

One is that your families Religion in Ireland is very important, also their religion if different in their new country. Roman Catholic's in the new country usually were that in Ireland. Church of Ireland can become Church of Scotland or England, etc.

Secondly you are very fixed on the idea of his being a "trained" Shipwright. While not wanting to disrespect the memory of the man it could be a fancy name for the job he was doing at that moment. I have seen one person through many english censuses changing from labourer, farmhand, carter, groom to Lord X, field worker. My own family varies between sailor in 1864, labourer in 1880, dock worker in 1891.
People also lied about their ages and first names.

greetings

Liam

PabloC
Oak Twig

Post by PabloC » 29 Aug 2007, 21:01

Hi Liam, :)

In answer to your points. Firstly, whilst I cannot yet locate a marriage record for Lawrence Cuddy and his wife Elizabeth Cox, his children were christened as Church of England, this being the family's religious demonination to this day. Therefore, I suppose it's likely he was Church of Ireland.

Secondly, as regards Lawrence's status as a Shipwright, I'm fairly convinced that this was his true trade, as three of his sons Michal, William and Lawrence all went on to become Shipwrights too. This is documented through the UK Census returns.

Cheers!!

Paul

irishgen
Site Admin
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Post by irishgen » 30 Aug 2007, 02:29

Hi Paul,

Knowing the religion should make it a little easier for you as Church of Ireland records go much further back than Catholic etc. If they were Presbyterian then you would stand a better chance searching in the Northern Counties.

As to his employment I only meant to be careful as what people did in Ireland was usually quite different than the work they found and did in England. If you are sure of your facts then that is the path to follow.

If I come across anything I will post it. My main expertise is Co. Antrim, the North and then the rest of Ireland.

greetings

Liam

Return to “Republic of Ireland”