WILLIAM MOAN (DOB 1830) - ELIZA PETICREW (DOB 1834)

Posts queries here if you are looking for information on anyone from Ireland that served in WW1 or anyone that served in any Irish Regiment.

Moderators: irishgen, larneman

louisearcher441
Oak Twig
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

WILLIAM MOAN (DOB 1830) - ELIZA PETICREW (DOB 1834)

Post by louisearcher441 » 06 Dec 2010, 23:05

i'v hit a brick wall with searching my family tree, William Moan and Eliza were born in Ireland (unfortunately i'm not sure which parish), they had a son who was born in Ireland named James Moan (DOB 1857) then they migrated to Scotland, shortly before setting in Ryhope, Sunderland. My grandmother has told me that they changed their name to MOAN once they moved to the UK fleeing the IRA apparently. She believes the surname was originally MONER however i am not sure of the spelling and still seem to get no where when trying various ways of spelling it. IS THERE AN BODY OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP ME ????????????????? PLEASE !!

Elwyn
Trunk
Anti-Pasta & Spam: No
Anti-Pasta & Spam 1: green
6 divided by 2 is the answer: 3

Re: WILLIAM MOAN (DOB 1830) - ELIZA PETICREW (DOB 1834)

Post by Elwyn » 07 Dec 2010, 13:54

Statutory records of births, deaths & marriages started in Ireland in 1864 (1845 for Protestant and Non-Conformist marriages). Prior to that you are heavily dependant on church records, where they exist. In general, there are few records prior to 1800.

To use church records effectively, because thereÔÇÖs no centralised index, ideally you need to know the ancestorÔÇÖs exact religion, townland and parish in Ireland. (Otherwise itÔÇÖs a needle in a haystack). To find that information the usual sources are poor law applications, censuses, gravestones, family bibles, wills and obituaries. In some jurisdictions death and marriage certificates will also contain parents names which may aid the search.

So your ancestors left Ireland before the start of statutory records and if you can trace them, you will be reliant on church records. I looked in the 1901 census for Ireland and there were 279 MOAN entries. Nearly all Roman Catholic and mostly in Ulster (the 9 northern counties). There were no entries at all for MONER so if they did change their name, it was unlikely to have been from MONER. IÔÇÖd take the story of fleeing the IRA in the mid 1800s with a pinch of salt. The IRA didnÔÇÖt exist then. The most common reasons for leaving Ireland at that time were economic. Crop failure, a dramatic increase in the size of the population and lack of local employment opportunities meant that people had to leave, and they went to places like Scotland and Tyneside where the industrial revolution had created many new jobs in mining, steel making etc. Millions of Irish people left at that time for those reasons. Some names got changed en route, but this was usually due to factors like illiteracy or bureaucrats unfamiliar with Irish names changing the spelling for you. In any case people werenÔÇÖt that concerned about the exact spelling of their names in those days.

You should explore all the British sources for any clues, to try and narrow the search in Ireland. Check every census for place of birth. Though usually it just says Ireland, sometimes the exact place is given.

Some Irish BDM records are searchable on line on the LDS pilot site, but some records are still held by the individual church (some declined to allow their records to be copied) and so this website is not the complete picture:

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/rec ... ctions&r=1

For Northern Ireland, the Public Record Office (PRONI) has copies of many of the parish registers, and has a list of those held elsewhere. www.proni.gov.uk/
The records themselves are not on line and you need to search them in person. PRONI is temporarily closed until April 2011 but there are temporary arrangements to view this data at Cregagh Library, Belfast. See PRONI website for details.

For the Republic of Ireland the equivalent records are held by the National Library http://www.nli.ie/

Elwyn

Return to “Looking for Information”